Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:21:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Breeders near chickens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Breeders near chickens  (Read 3813 times)
XLCR

« on: August 26, 2008, 04:56:36 PM »

How close can my quail breeders be to my chickens? There's part of my barn that the chickens come into but can not get access to where I'm thinking of putting my quail. The breeder pens will be about 10 feet or more away in an area that hasn't been used in a while. I have an area where I used to raise rabbits on the other side of the wall. Any disease issue here?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:41:48 PM »

How close can my quail breeders be to my chickens?

A Good rule of thumb is TEN MILES.   I lost 450 Bobwhites, last year, because a hired "hand" (more like hired two left feet, not connected with a brain) went from chicken house, to Quail pen, after being told it was better to let the chickens starve, than to do that.

Some companies that let contracts for broiler chickens demand a barrier of 100 feet.  Others will not allow any other birds (chickens, waterfowl, gamebirds, or guineas) on the same property.  I would say 50 to 100 feet would be OK, IF you drag your feet through tall grass, as you walk.  Boot baths at the entrance to each pen, helps.  Having the Quail on wire would help, but do not ever put an escapee back in, if it could have gotten to chicken poop.   Airborne spreading of diseases is probably not likely, but some can be spread by flies, and Mosquito's.  Do not allow use of waterers, or feeders from pen to pen.  Use slightly different, or marked equipment.

Some people have raised them together and claim to have had no problems.  Some people wouldn't have any idea what killed their birds, so there may be some overlap in these groups.  I was lucky for a long time, myself.  A hot, wet summer may be your worst enemy as far as diseases.  Second is damp conditions at any temperature.  Third is a helper with no stake in the success of the bird crop.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 04:19:50 AM »

TEN MILES is a good distance
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »