Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Feed-Discussion pertaining to various types of feeds, brands, what to feed and when.
| | | |-+  What FEED do I feel my feeders with?!?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What FEED do I feel my feeders with?!?!?  (Read 4118 times)
meangoat
« on: September 26, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »

I have 5 55 gallon quail feeders ready to be placed on my 680 acres.  I only have constant water in 3 places.  My question is what type of feed should I fill my feeders with and for the areas away from water, should I use a feed that contains a higher moisture level feed?

I am in West Texas (south of Colorado City) and have a 80%ish bob-white and 20% Blue (scales) population.

Please advise.

-Regards,

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:06:34 PM by meangoat » Logged
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »

My dad uses hen scratch in them its more of a natural feed for them in our area. This way they still know what to forage for.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:32:29 AM »

I have 5 55 gallon quail feeders ready to be placed on my 680 acres.  I only have constant water in 3 places.  My question is what type of feed should I fill my feeders with and for the areas away from water, should I use a feed that contains a higher moisture level feed?

I am in West Texas (south of Colorado City) and have a 80%ish bob-white and 20% Blue (scales) population.

Please advise.

-Regards,

Kevin

Are these drop feeders(gravity) or battery spreaders? With 680ac what is the natural food source on the property now? If I was in your situation, prior to releasing the birds, I would start them on a gradual diet of the same plant and grains that are on your property to get them acclimated to their new environment. Then release the birds.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 12:36:14 AM »

Moisture content high enough to help offset lack of water would spoil grain in a few days.  Dew is usually enough.  Guzzlers might help in really dry years, they were great for Prairie Chickens in some areas.  Green leafy plants, like winter wheat, are good.

In the feeders, you probably do want to stick with whole seed, or cracked, or chopped corn, or soybeans, rather than prepared feed.  Milo in the mixture is a good idea.  I assume you are supplementing feed for wild birds.  That's probably not necessary this time of year, unless you're doing it to help hold them on your property.  Or, to get them accustomed to finding grain in certain locations.  If you release birds you should provide grit for them the last few days prior to release, if they haven't been getting it before.

Planting a small patch of ragweed, lespodeza, Milo, and turnips, first will do more for Quail.  Turnips?  Yep, turnips, they provide great cover from air raids, and cool shade, and source of dew drops well into warm to cool winters, as well as attracting bugs.  With a feeder tucked into a little multi-flora rose, mesquite, or plum nearby you have an all winter Quail heaven.  But I still think the feeder is about the last component.  Turnips may also attract hogs, but most Texans know what to do with hogs.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 11:32:27 PM »

Here in central Texas chicken screatch in the feeders works great. The corn also helps them stay warmer in the winter, by adding more fat to them.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 11:35:45 PM »

We have given you quiet a few options and your still asking. What exactally are you looking for in an answer you we can give you the one you want.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »