Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  The rising cost of feed!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The rising cost of feed!  (Read 141869 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:51 AM »

The cost of feed

How many of you out there buy feed in bulk? I am talking at least 2 to 4 ton a month. I have noticed since Jan. 07 that my feed bill had gone up $20.00 per ton twice in Jan to a total increase of $40.00 per ton.

I was paying $238.00 per ton in Dec 06 and know I am paying $278 per ton. I know this reflex mostly on corn. Since the price increase of corn is do to the more production of ethanol for the blended gas.

How is this going to reflect your sale of adult birds, chicks, and fertile egg sales? Will you pass the total cost increase, partial cost increase on to the public or just eat the feed bill increase.

Now, how about the little guy who buys the smaller amount of feed. What is your cost increase, compared to what you use to pay, and how will this affect you in pricing you adult birds, chicks, and fertile egg sales?

Any other thoughts about this?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »

I don't use any where near what you are buying, but I have seen feed prices go up about $1 per 50 lb. bag, exactly what you have seen.  This has been creeping up over the past three months or so, not all at once like you experienced, but it is about the same here.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »

I don't use any where near what you are buying, but I have seen feed prices go up about $1 per 50 lb. bag, exactly what you have seen.  This has been creeping up over the past three months or so, not all at once like you experienced, but it is about the same here.

gsc,

The place that I get my blended feed from has held the price of $238.00 since Jan 2006. So I guess I can't complain to much. I just hope the price that I am paying stays as is and doesn't continue to climb. If they hold it now at the $278 price for the whole year, or reduce if possible, I will be happy.

I have been dealing this these people over two years, and my money is better then the rest. By that I mean, my checks don't bounce.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:18:02 PM »

I was told the same thing-the rising cost of corn.  Our feed went up an average of $10 per ton for the past 3 months.  Two weeks ago we were paying $410.00 per ton.  Scared to see what it will be when I order again this week.  Last year we went through 28 tons fo feed.  Something definately has to give on these prices.  Between feed ($800 plus) and electricity ($600 plus) a month its extremely hard.  The USPS has had trouble shipping (here anyway) the past few years on chick orders-eggs are terrific- and unless things get better with chick shipping there has to be an increase.  The biggest cost overall is not electricity and feed, its the outrageous price of credit cards, interest and fees as well as auction fees.  Which is one reason I wanted to get an auction site started for the community in mind.

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:07:14 AM »

Just go another price increase in my feed bill by $5.50 due to the increase price of corn. Corn is now $4.25 bu. They are expecting it to go to as high as $5.00 within the next couple of weeks.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:24:55 PM »

Neighbor and I order together, so that may help our prices.  We usually buy 7 or 8 ton at a time.

A ton of Gamebird Breeder Layena this week cost me $386.80 (Purina brand).

It's always floated a little between orders, depending on grain prices at the time, but it's up a little more than usual.

Same goes for the Gamebird Startena and Gamebird Flight Conditioner mixes.

Obviously if you buy less than a ton, they have to split up the pallet and charge in the neighborhood of 15 cents more per 50# bag.

Regarding your original question.....I will make it up with selling more birds, eggs, chicks (increase volume) and keep the prices the same.

Are you guys buying a local mills mix or a commercial brand?  Do you buy off a middle guy or do you buy direct?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:52:49 AM »

Neighbor and I order together, so that may help our prices.  We usually buy 7 or 8 ton at a time.

A ton of Gamebird Breeder Layena this week cost me $386.80 (Purina brand).

It's always floated a little between orders, depending on grain prices at the time, but it's up a little more than usual.

Same goes for the Gamebird Startena and Gamebird Flight Conditioner mixes.

Obviously if you buy less than a ton, they have to split up the pallet and charge in the neighborhood of 15 cents more per 50# bag.

Regarding your original question.....I will make it up with selling more birds, eggs, chicks (increase volume) and keep the prices the same.

Are you guys buying a local mills mix or a commercial brand?  Do you buy off a middle guy or do you buy direct?

I have mine made up at the local mill.  I call in 1-2 days ahead of time and then they get it ready for p/c

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »

We used to use the local mill as well but could only get feed in pellet form.  This worked out really well as the birds wouldnt waste as much of it.  The only draw back was the protein and other supplements in it.  It was great for some birds like Bobwhite but Coturnix literally burned them up inside.  I had to come up with a different kind of feed format by playing around with the ingredients for different kinds of birds which meant that some birds wouldnt be able to eat what others do and having two different kinds of feed on hand.  Two years ago we switched over to Blue Seal and purchase that in ton increments every couple weeks.  Havent had the first problem since-except a higher feed bill...

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
AA Plantation
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 03:37:01 PM »

I am Feeding by-product out of my mill.
We do stone ground gritts and plantation rice
currently i am feeding the pieces of rice that are rejected in the cleaning process.
The Stone Mill makes just as much fine scratch and meal that it does gritts.
I can't feed all i make and throw away 3 tons a month

AA Plantation
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 05:10:53 PM »

After trying to find a custom mill to process the waste by-product out of my mill
corn meal, bits and peices of rice, fine sratch.
In order to get the protein content up to 28% Soy and other medications would have to be added to make a grower feed.
The custom mill is going to charge $11 per 50lb.
I can buy it allready made for $9.50 per 50lbs.
BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD 
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »

Get hogs, feed em up & sell them, was my first thought.
AA Plantation
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 08:52:14 PM »

everything that eats here has to work.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

:laugh:

Got any land you want tilled up/cleared ?

I have a strip that is about 2k ft. long by about 40' that will be fenced off & the "plan" is to put a couple pigs in there to clear it up. Poplars, wild rose etc.

Each fall, into the freezer for one & sell the other. One or two years of that & I'll plant a pile of Spruce & Pine. Need some green here in the winters !
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2007, 10:09:04 PM »

Boy, do I know how you guys feel ! I have to buy a bag of grains MONTHLY! Imagine my feed bill... hahaha. Reeves, the pig idea sounds interesting... as well as TASTY !  :laugh:

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »

My feed went down only $.10 a pound. I was hoping more..

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »