Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:42:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  What to feed Bob White Quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What to feed Bob White Quail  (Read 4825 times)
Wing&aPrayer
« on: May 15, 2004, 11:34:58 PM »

I have 5 chicks that will be 4 weeks old on Tuesday I was wondering when do you take them off the chick starter? And what do you feed them next? Do you mix seed with others things like a mash or anything? Just curious, trying to give these little guys a good start.

Christie
scc
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »

Keep them on the starter till about week 6, then switch to a grower/developer. You can feed them millet or corn chops an occasion but do not feed it as their sole food, its way low in protein.
muttsburg
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 09:53:42 AM »

Hi!

My Northern Quail are due to be released next week and I was wondering what would be a good field grain to set out for them to give a good start. They have been on chick starter and get daily toss of wild bird seed (no sunflower) fresh grasses and clover, and a little scratch feed for the cracked corn.

They will have been in the flight pen for 2 weeks and be 7 weeks old at release. They are flying well and look great, just want to give them the best start in the wild.

Thanks...
britguy33
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 10:34:18 AM »

Feed them some bugs and worms for treats they love them

try this post for info. I don't want to post all the info twice.

http://shaywood.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=107

http://www.quailprogramvideo.com/
muttsburg
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 08:27:26 AM »

Thanks britguy33. Lots of good info and links !! I hadn't read the Shooting Preserve Management posts, guess I best brush up ;-)

We have lots of thistle and our 40 acres of woods are peppered with streams and surounded by close to 800 acres of pasture and hay fields. We are planning on adding plantings in our open areas, right of ways, etc. This is going to be an interesting project and now we have a better idea of what to plant.

To be honest, we don't hunt birds. Just squirel, rabbits, deer, and hogs. We just miss seeing pheasant and the sound of the Bobwhite in the evenings.

Here's to the call of the wild  :wink:
britguy33
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 08:30:10 PM »

muttsberg

If you are into deer hunting thought you mught enjoy this link. Sorry this doesn't relate to the origonal  post just thought you might get some use out of it.

http://www.bowsite.org/bowsite/kb/ASK.cfm?section_id=3&StartRow=36
muttsburg
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 08:30:40 AM »

Thanks britguy33, good questions, great answers !!

Thanks for taking the time to point these out!

Now, where did I put that sprayer ¿ :wink:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »