Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:31:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Nesting Boxes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nesting Boxes  (Read 9564 times)
Andrew S.

« on: February 06, 2006, 09:34:07 PM »

The spring is fast approaching and I figured I should get on the ball.  I want to build some nest boxes for bobwhite quail.  I have looked around and have seen dimensions of 6in wide, 6in high, and 6in deep.  Does this seem acceptable?  When building them, should I leave the whole front open, or cut a hole for them to go through? 

Another question I have is about pheasant next boxes.  I need to know the dimensions of a nest box that would be suitable for Reeves, Amherst, and Red/Yellow golden pheasants.  I couldn't find this information anywhere. 

Thanks,
Andrew S.

Central PA
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »

I haven't built any nest boxes for my Quail. They lay in their hutch, in a corner. But, I'm thinking a bit bigger than you mentioned for the Quail.

All the Pheasants you mention have fairly long tails. (as are mine)
For nest boxes I made a "tray" that is about 2' x 1.5' x 6", with hay, then set in corners.
If you have egg eaters, you may want to put sides & top on, leaving the open side pointed towards the darker side of where you put it. If you want, you can also make the sides higher of a "tray" style, to keep the eggs more out of site.
jk
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 12:35:29 AM »

I would make them 8x8x8. My bobwhites lay in a hutch in the corner that is like 4x2 and filled with hay. My pheasants lay in one that is like 6x3.
Andrew S.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »

I built them a while ago and they are in the pen now.  I decided to make them 8X8X8, and I put both sides and a top on.  They haven't laid any eggs yet so I don't know what is going to happen.  I put hay in each box. 

Andrew S.

Central PA
wirenut

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 09:51:39 PM »

Be carefull with the box espacally if they have tops on them, to many female ,sometimes, will get in there and smother a few, this is for the quail. I colony breed and they will lay where ever the time calls for it, but usally they will hit a corner, changing corners from day to day.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »