Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  surrogator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: surrogator  (Read 80612 times)
legacy

« on: January 29, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »

Hello I am very interested in building a surrogator,  Was hoping someone could provide a set of plans, instructions, bill of materials ???    Anything would be appreciated!          Thanks in advance!
Bobwhite quail24
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »

What is a surrogator?
Foz
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 07:27:13 PM »

Go to the below link.  They sell them and tell you all about it.

http://www.quailrestoration.com/surrogator.htm

Anyway, what it amounts to is just an oversized brooder that is self contained so that it can be placed in the field, rather than the barn.  It's size is based off allowing the birds to reach 5-6 weeks of age and still have ample space inside the brooder.

As far as the heating elements, you could order the guts from a standard LP room brooder unit, or, if you are lucky enough and have electric close enough to where you are placing it (probably not) you could use an electric heat element.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 07:40:33 PM by Foz » Logged
jefftke
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »

I have a friend getting ready to buy two. I'm going to see if he'll let get parts and design specs. If I get them I'll pass them along.
Theo713
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 05:27:44 PM »

Did you ever find any information about the Surrogator??? Iam interested in doing the same thing as you.  I just can not afford that type of $$.

Thanks
Theo
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 10:36:33 PM »

i think you can make one, for little $$$.. use a  40lb propane tank, with a propane camping heat lamp.(like !$25.00 at walmart) for the heat.( you would have to set up a temp. controller or something) nipple waters(PVC). a feeder.. and put it in a nice little file box with 1/4 wire on the bottom. about..+/- $50.00 beans.
I'm thing about making the heater for my pen.. no electric.. hope this helps?

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
Theo713
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:48:45 PM »

I have a good size propane tank just sitting around my place I could use. Just wondering if any you have anymore detailed idea about how to make one.

$1500 seems like a lot considering you must supply the propane tank and feed and H2O. From what I have seen it looks like they are supplying a mesh crate for protection right?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »

Did you ever find any information about the Surrogator??? Iam interested in doing the same thing as you.  I just can not afford that type of $$.

I doubt that you'll be getting any info from this fella:

Re: surrogator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006

Name:  jefftke

Last Active:  May 11, 2006, 09:41:01 PM

I have no experience with the "surrogator" concept.  Although, I do believe that the gas control valve, heater, and thermostat controls would probably be your most expensive and most difficult items to obtain.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Theo713
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:20:37 PM »

ok thanks. I found this pics on another website. check it out.

http://www.quailclub.com/Surrogator/PGSurrogator/QuailSurrogator/index.html

Theo713
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 11:37:00 PM by Theo713 » Logged
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 08:25:07 AM »

A little off topic but not much, for after the surrogtor I like the looks of their feeder:
nuts, the pic didnt come through, it holds 200lbs of feed/seed, is priced competitively with other large units. Check out the url above.

QRT Game Bird Feeder

Recent research suggests that supplemental feeding increases nest productivity and improves survival and reproduction of quail!

Click here to read the latest research on Supplemental Feeding!

Protect your quail year round with the QRT Game Bird Feeder

All 4 legs of the feeder are designed with a feed trough. By having the feed troughs under the unit, the feed stays dry and the birds feed in protection.

As a result of this recent research, QRT introduces its revolutionary feeder!  It is designed specifically to feed both grains and crumbly type feeds, such as the hen laying formula mentioned in the latest supplemental feeding research! Because the feed troughs in this exclusively designed feeder are protected, unlike today's typical feeders, feed is moisture-free, reducing clogging and producing less waste than with other feeders.  The plastic construction discourages condensation, which keeps your feed dry.  This innovative feeder is also designed to discourage use by turkeys.  All of which saves you money and time!  This feeder will set the standard for feeders to come!

The QRT Game Bird Feeder will also adjust to feed different types and sizes of seed, such as corn, milo, wheat and soybeans! Because of its large holding capacity (between 200 and 250 lbs depending on seed weight) it is low maintenance and requires less attention from you! This sturdy, UV-protected feeder designed out of polyethylene plastic will last at least 20 years in normal conditions.  Be sure to add this indispensable item to your quail management program!  Best benefits result from one feeder for every ten acres of usable property!

The QRT Game Bird Feeder
Custom built Game Bird feeder
Holds between 200 and 250 lbs of feed
Protects quail from predators/elements
Rain protected feed troughs
Large fill hole
Plastic construction reduces condensation
Feeds different size and types of feed

UNIT PRICE: $199.00
Plus shipping
Please contact contact QRT for shipping rates when purchasing more than 2 units

State shipping to  Continental USALASKAHAWAII   

Order yours online now!

QRT Game Bird Feeder
Feeds all size grain

Supplemental feeding

contact us | hunt club consulting | free brochure | success stories | shop | home | view cart
Wildlife Management Technologies

2525 N. Loch Lomond Ct.

Wichita, Kansas 67228

(316)200-0134

contact@quailrestoration.com

©2006 Wildlife Management Technologies

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
legacy

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »

It must be the cabin feaver that gets me thinking about building this thing ??

Anybody made their own yet??
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »

I wouldnt, the 'Johnny Tower" can be adapted to much the same thing.

Called Johnny Towers because they look like a John sitting out in the field. They are used to recall Quail used in training, have a raised, usually wire cage with a wire funnel into it, and the birds can go into the building for feed and water. You could arrange it to pour feed and water into it on a blind side so the birds wouldnt see you, and at five weeks or older release them. You'd need either a cord for a brooder lamp or propane tank for a gas brooder. I'd rather spend the money on one of these then twice what the Johnny Tower would cost.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »

They had an add today on the program Gundog on the outdoor channel, interesting ad, showed a release being made from it.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
imp-cyl

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 10:22:50 PM »

I am thinking about building a surrogator, dosn't look to difficult. I think this thing will work very well. I would appreciate any plans or input that you may have about it. Thanks for your help!!!

tcr
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 10:35:08 PM »

I am thinking about building a surrogator, dosn't look to difficult. I think this thing will work very well. I would appreciate any plans or input that you may have about it. Thanks for your help!!!

Be sure to take plenty of digital pictures and post them for us as you go. Then we'll know what to do and what not to do too.   ^-^  Not that I personally am interested in building one, but many others are.  I've got plenty of projects to keep me busy.

As I stated before:

I do believe that the gas control valve, heater, and thermostat controls would probably be your most expensive and most difficult items to obtain.

s016
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:37:00 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »