Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  compost
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: compost  (Read 4251 times)
yote1

« on: September 28, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »

I'm looking around for compost equipment. Have all the right material on the ground. Would like some input or experience, on this venture.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 05:48:57 AM »

I'm looking around for compost equipment. Have all the right material on the ground. Would like some input or experience, on this venture.

What type of compost are you working with, and what size are you talking about?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
yote1

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:19:37 PM »

Quail manure, grass clippings.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 07:33:17 AM »

Quail manure, grass clippings.

You still didn't mention size.. If it is small use a pitch fork and move the pile every two weeks 5 feet over and cover with a tarp. If you are talking yards use a farm tractor with a front bucket and move it that way and cover it with a tarp. Just keep adding powdered lime on top after each move.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
yote1

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »

size I figure about  2 yds.  once a week and was wondering If 50 gallon plastic barrels would work . Thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:06:17 AM »

size I figure about  2 yds.  once a week and was wondering If 50 gallon plastic barrels would work . Thanks

I wouldn't use the barrels, just pile it up and cover the top with a tarp. You want it to breath. Unless you are looking to cook it and produce a liquid.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 08:10:31 AM »

I use a barrel for composting kitchen waste. It works ok.
Two yards would be a lot of barrels. I would keep it piled and turn twice a month.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 08:17:53 AM »

I use a barrel for composting kitchen waste. It works ok.
Two yards would be a lot of barrels. I would keep it piled and turn twice a month.

Actually NH/Pete, I guess turning would depend on the location, weather, and climate. What I have, I do in two week intervals. I also add the kithchen waste, coffee grinds, rotten vegetables, ect.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »

I keep the kitchen waste separate to keep the coons and such away from the barn.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 08:22:44 AM »

I took care of the coon problem 2 years ago s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

yote1

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 06:08:26 PM »

Plastic tarp,  I was thinking of ventilating the barrels side using  screens on the  bottom for ventilation I was wanting to make my barrels where I could turn. But If you say tarping is better. I was also thinking of using blocks, that I saw a nursery using, then lining with a tarp. I open for all suggestions.  Thanks for the information  yote1
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 07:38:54 AM »

If you use the barrel just drill some drain holes. Wire sides may let it get too dry.
Keep it simple.

Abraham Lincoln
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 02:35:59 PM »

you could even add eggshells to the compost, gives plant calcium.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »