Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:46:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Why we should keep Pheasants Pure
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why we should keep Pheasants Pure  (Read 2507 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: January 23, 2007, 09:47:02 AM »

I found this definition in my biology book.

The reason mutations are harmful and not helpful is because mutations cause genetic information to be lost not Gained!

According to this definition we should breed pheasants so that they remain pure. Not so that we can have pretty colors and make more money, but because when we leave this world we want to leave pure pheasants for the furture generations and not have our children fix all of our mistakes. For example people say Lady Amherst and golden pheasants are the most common pheasant kept in the captivity, but I think that pure Lady Amherst and golden pheasants are almost the hardest pheasant to find in captivity

This is a Rant but I don't mean to Affend Anyone,

Forrest
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:37:09 AM by Chukar Breeder » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »

Very good post, Forrest !
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »

The only true way to retain the natural gene pool, is if the perpetuation of the species is allowed to be subject to the natural selection process.  When we cage and direct the breeding, we have altered the process and the results will never be the same as the natural selection process.  Even with the extensive facilities provided by Reeves, it is still an artificial environment and the out come will not conform to a natural selection model.  I think we need to be careful in our condemnation as we are guilty to a greater or lesser degree of the same.

That being said, I believe in bio-diversity and perpetuation of the genetics, but I do so understanding that it is impossible to preserve nature.  1- nature is not static and therefore cannot be "preserved" and 2- any involvement on our part taints the outcome.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:43:20 AM »

Good points !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:23:44 PM »

At 4 AM I couldn't think of what to type....

I think what Forrest was getting at is to keep them as pure as we can. ie: not breed Amherst to Golden, just to get some odd colors.
And in this he would be on the money.

We could never do as well for the species as being in the wild. However, by getting your breeders from another source now and again may help the gene pool from shrinking too far.

As time goes on this will become a problem. New wild ones cannot be shipped out of their native lands.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »