Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  New or Existing Member's Section
| | |-+  Hello from Oklahoma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from Oklahoma  (Read 2805 times)
Jeff

Personal Text

« on: June 05, 2010, 02:00:04 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am in North Central Oklahoma.  I have wanted to raise quail for around 7 years, ever since I bought my home.  I have a place to do it and finally took the plunge.  I have lost 4 of the 8 that hatched, but very excited about the ones that have made it.

All this is new to me and really having a good time, as are the kids.  I will be getting 100 eggs soon and hope I have better results.  I have learned a lot so far and this site has helped so much.  The 2 girls call the birds "squishies" and like to hold and cuddle them.  My wife so far likes having the little birds and has been upset when we loose one.  I am converting a horse stall in my barn for quail.  I am working to set up an outside pen that is 10 X 40 for a good flight pen.  I really am excited to see the incubating eggs hatch into a bird. 

Right now I am hatching bob whites, but want to get something more colorful to look at.  I really like watching to the video Reeves did and would like to know what kind of pheasant he has that follows him around like a dog.  I think I need one of those!

Anyway,  I am new here and really like the site so far.  Always open to suggestions and all help is welcome.  I really needs tips on a brooder construction.

Howdy all from Oklahoma,
Jeff
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »

Howdy and  s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bird288

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »

Hello There  s016 to the site
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 09:52:21 PM »

I really like watching to the video Reeves did and would like to know what kind of pheasant he has that follows him around like a dog.  I think I need one of those!

He isn't doing this in any friendly way. He follows me to kick my @$$...or any part of me he can get to.
This species isn't for anyone. The males are very pugnatious. Not a lot of people have the personality to deal with this species.

Be warned.....
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:14:37 AM »

Thanks for the welcome.  You guys on this site have given me the bug.  I've been reading posts for a couple months researching and decided to join.  Today I bought 100 eggs and was given an extra 15.  Hopefully I get a good hatch and give the kids more to take care of. 

Youngest daughter, 9, wants to keep the birds in her room.  I think I'll get a birdcage and let her have 2 in there.  Male and female so we can collect any eggs.  We'll see, it will be a good learning experience.

Guess I won't get one of the mean pheasants, don't need anything that attacks me.  I think I will get a few ringneck pheasants after the quail are established.  I only have 3 stalls in my barn and 1 is for chickens, 1 for quail and I guess the other will be for pheasants.  I've heard it is difficult to hatch and raise baby pheasants.  Any input on this?  A friend said he raised them years ago and they like to kill each other.  I originally was going to put a male in with my chickens, but was told not to do it.  So I'll do a few in the extra stall.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »