Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:58:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Way Off Forum..ID Needed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Way Off Forum..ID Needed  (Read 13454 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 12:57:15 PM »

I let Chuck know what it is....it's up to that old phart now to let ya all know now

i9
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 05:00:00 PM »

old phart

s20     ???     If a 27 year old is old......then you must be ancient!!     :x

:-*

I figured that you would want the honors?  Well anyway, Reeves informs me that item "A" is an incubator..........a fish incubator that is.  From what little bit of research that I've done, it appears that they are mainly used for trout and salmon.  I've looked at some of the newer fish incubators and they resemble this one quite a bit, other than they are plastic and aluminum. The eggs (thousands) are layed out on the screens in each drawer and then fresh water runs through the entire thing from the top, all the way through the bottom.  I still can't see how this thing would (wood  ^-^) hold up very long under those wet conditions?  Of course, I have no idea what kind of wood that it is.  I'll either dry seeds in it, or put some cardboard or thin pieces of wood in the bottom of the drawers and use it for storage. 

Some folks would probably like to have it to dry other things in it?     :-o

Thanks Reeves, now to figure out item "B".  I do believe that I saw "B" on the "History Channel"..........that's why I can't find it again on the net.

Thanks Again.........Freeves!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:02:20 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »

If a 27 year old is old......

j45

You forgot to add those other 20 years !

Time flys, eh !

s020
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 10:09:07 PM »

Dig this........ I finally figured out what item "B" is.  It is a complete unit, minus a rope. It's not used for cotton, it's used for corn. It is a "Corn shock binder/compressor".  It was used to compress corn shocks together. Very old farm hand tool, possibly Sears and Roebuck, manufactured around 1900. I always thought it was just a "piece" of something, but it is a complete tool.  I still don't know exactly how it operated, but I'll be doin' some experimenting with it.  Yeeehhaww! 

j2

Exerpt:

A rope with single pulley was used to draw the shock in,
then another person girded and tied the corn shock with binder twine,
enabling removal of the rope and pulley for reuse.

Here are a couple pics of some other versions:

(Click pic to Enlarge):

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 10:13:42 PM »

............and a better picture of the one that I have.........

(I'd of thought that somebody like "Jake" would have recognized it)    ^-^

(Click Pic to Enlarge):

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 12:40:57 AM »

For those who don't know what a "corn shock" (stook,sheave) is, here's a picture for you:

(Click pic to Enlarge):

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 07:44:29 AM »

C'mon guys, I said it was a binder ! I've got one here somewhere.

It was the rack that has me  wondering.

I dont believe it is a fish hatching tray, mainly because I am/was  a fisheries biologist and have hatched out a couple million salmonids, we used 'battery jars' specially made to hold the eggs,

I know of a family trout farm not far from me that uses an egg stacker, whch is what they are called, this one is of plastic, it combines egg hatching and fry holding. i just doubt this one is made of wood. The ones I have seen were wire. Very close together.

What size are the spaces between the slats ? If its larger then one 'caviar' its too big.

My guess is its a dehydrator.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »

The trays that were/are used in a small hatchery just out of Sandspit on the Queen Charlotte Islands for their Salmon enhancment project(s) are made of wood. Never gave much thought to which species of tree, but is likely Cedar.
Wish now I had taken some pictures....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 12:04:42 AM »

Cedar crossed my mind too. Although, I really don't really want to go scraping on it to find out.........?    It is a complete original something or another ( :-|) and I didn't want to take away from its originality in any way.    ^-^

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 06:26:29 PM »

Why not try to get an appraisal for both item A and B? Im thinking item B alone cost more then Reeves' Chev S10. hahaha 0009
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2007, 07:44:14 PM »

s020
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 03:56:44 AM »

I know I am a little late with my reply.  But Item B, is being used in my barn now.  We use it for hay.  Lifting and such. 

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 07:52:05 AM »

:cool:

Thanks........did you know what it was actually built for?   It's neat to see someone still using one on a regular basis.  I've never gotten the correct size rope and tried to bind anything with it yet. I also found one on eBay recently that would cost you almost $40 to get it to your door.    :-o

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

Actually ours does not have the pointed end (now that I look closer).  But very close, my hubby has a thing about actually using antiques.  I will try and take a picture of it in use for you to see.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »