Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Egg Fertility
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg Fertility  (Read 8262 times)
QUAIL

Personal Text

« on: March 16, 2010, 10:46:42 AM »

I have a question how do you check eggs for fertility? I have read were people check there eggs.  Do you have to have them in the incubator for a few days or is there a other way to check?
TENNESSERED

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »

Hi Quail,
    Yes, you can check to see if an egg is fertile and developing.  What you do is candle it.  Put your eggs in an  incubator and let them incubate for about a week.  Buy yourself one the new led flashlights.  They produce a much brighter light than the standard flashlight.  I found one at True Value hardware here in town that has a single strong led in it and it works great.  I can even see into my ringneck eggs without straining my eyes!.  Pull out the incubator tray,  hold the light the light against the top of the egg.  If it is fertile, you will see a nice air pocket developing.  You should be able to see some blood veins across the egg.  I can check several hundred eggs in just a few minutes with this method.
QUAIL

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:34 PM »

Thanks for the info   ty2
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:37:43 PM »

If it is fertile, you will see a nice air pocket developing.

Eggs don't "develop" an air pocket.

:angel:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 07:10:45 PM by Reeves » Logged
TENNESSERED

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:55:07 PM »

Ok Reeves,
   To be technically correct, the egg is formed with a very small air pocket which is hard to see, but develops into a larger air pocket or "sac" as it is incubated.  Is that better?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 12:03:24 AM »

:grin:
TENNESSERED

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:04 AM »

Hey Reeves I have a question for you.  In the "Kings English"  do you always put an "e" on the end of develop?
bird288

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »

Ok Reeves ,,Do you put a e on the end of the word ,,,, s020
  Jay
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:16 PM »

dh1

BillyBarnett

Personal Text

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »

Hi Quail,
    Yes, you can check to see if an egg is fertile and developing.  What you do is candle it.  Put your eggs in an  incubator and let them incubate for about a week.  Buy yourself one the new led flashlights.  They produce a much brighter light than the standard led light.  I found one at True Value hardware here in town that has a single strong led in it and it works great.  I can even see into my ringneck eggs without straining my eyes!.  Pull out the incubator tray,  hold the light the light against the top of the egg.  If it is fertile, you will see a nice air pocket developing.  You should be able to see some blood veins across the egg.  I can check several hundred eggs in just a few minutes with this method.

Thats nice very nice indeed.. I never knew a flashlight could be used to check the egg fertility.. I will apply this technique and try to check it.. Thanks again
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:52:49 PM by BillyBarnett » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »