Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  2-3 wk old Bob Whites dying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2-3 wk old Bob Whites dying  (Read 10843 times)
tinyavenger
« on: July 21, 2005, 12:17:09 PM »

My friend has 2 to 3 week old Bob White Quail that appear to be fine but have started dying off several at a time. He mentioned that several looked like they were having a seizure just before they died. I gave him the breeding pair after hatching and raising 40 chicks successfully. He has had the pair for about two years without a successfull hatch, the chicks always die after a week or two. He is not incubating the eggs, the female is hatching them out and he moves them to the brooder. Temp and setup of the brooder is fine, water source is fine, not sure about the type of feed he's using and he does have pine shavings in the brooder - this could be part of the problem. Any ideas why they would live for 2-3 weeks then die suddenly? What about the seizure-like symptoms?
SouthOCJim
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 01:24:44 PM »

I'm also very interested as to what the answer may be. I was involved in another discussion regarding pine shavings and the ultimate end was that pine shavings were fine, it was cedar you wanted to stay away from.....now do you have different info on that?
So far I have done just fine with pine shavings and just got back into hatching quail this year. I have experienced the California Valley quail just dying after being fine for about 2 weeks. That was a big disappointment, but....I think their problem was that they were pecking each other in the eyes SO bad that their eyes hurt and were swollen almost shut. I had to keep opening their eyes and then showing them where food and water was located.
I had something of the same thing happen with a few bobwhites as well......just seemed fine and were eating and drinking and then noticed that a handful stopped eating as much and then about 2 weeks to 3 weeks old those that weren't eating as regularly just died off.

All of my eggs are being incubated manually, not by the birds. Also, all of my eggs have been shipped to me....so I know that poor hatch rates were due to shipping too.....but I would definitely like to see what more experienced breeders can come up with.

SouthOCJim
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 01:26:31 PM »

Oh forgot to mention......mine did that little seizure thing too just before finally dying....and I think it's just that last moment before they die....like their bodies just give out.
There was a consistency with noticing that they weren't as lively as the others.....so I kind of put in the back of my mind that I knew certain ones wouldn't make it even though I tried to get them to drink and eat.
tex
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 03:50:07 PM »

I have the same thing happening in the first week.  Its easy to tell when  they are going to die as they spaz out and in a matter of an hour or so, one of them is dead.  There doesn't appear to be any pecking but I may try and trim the beak to eliminate that as an issue.
tinyavenger
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2005, 11:06:50 AM »

Pecking was not an issue in this case but I have just recently learned that he was only feeding them ground corn. I told him this was not an adequate food source for baby quail (he's used to raising chickens). I also suggested thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting the brooder to avoid possible contamination or disease. All of the chicks were eating and drinking normally, they just keeled over dead. I don't know how much genes come into play with raising birds but I am unsure of just how closely related the "parents" are since they came from a batch of about forty quail that I raised. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 08:47:44 PM »

needs to feed them a game bird starter corn is no good they probably starved to death
tinyavenger
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 09:07:49 AM »

Actually, they were eating the corn, so they didn't starve to death, but thanks for the insight.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 07:53:34 PM »

just because they were eating corn does not mean they were getting any nurishment from it but i guess you new that i only raise about 4000 birds a year  pheasant quail chuckers huns  and hatch about 90 %of my own eggs  your welcome for the insight
joip
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 05:16:06 AM »

Most of the starter feeds are medicated and high in protein 28%, I would check the feed he is using, young quail need the high protein to grow and a balance diet also they need some sort of medication to get them started, coccidiosis can wipe a flock of quail within 24 hrs, corn alone just doesn't meet the requirements a young quail needs to make it to and adult bird, I doult that it has anything to do with genes the chicks are dying to close together and you would also have chicks that weren't properly form,
Medicate and use a high protien starter

Joip
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 05:20:31 AM by joip » Logged
ssbuman
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 09:24:27 PM »

The seizures were most likely the end result of multiple organ failure brought about by starvation.  Baby birds do not have the ability to "break down" larger pieces of food.  As they get older you need to add a high calcium grit to their diet so they can begin to digest larger crumble.  The calcium is necessary for good bone development and is crucial in laying hens of any bird species. 
tinyavenger
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 09:24:58 AM »

just because they were eating corn does not mean they were getting any nurishment from it but i guess you new that i only raise about 4000 birds a year  pheasant quail chuckers huns  and hatch about 90 %of my own eggs  your welcome for the insight

Perhaps you should read some of my earlier messages before you post such a rude reply! These are not my quail dying! I had a 90% hatch rate. I'm trying to help out a friend here and find some possible explanation for the sudden death of his quail other than poor nutrition from improper feeding (which was already determined). In my opinion, "starving to death" would indicate a complete lack of food, which was not the case. I suggest you change the "tone" of your replies when responding to "new members", apparently not everyone has your level of expertise!
tinyavenger
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 09:31:24 AM »

To Joip:

What are the symptoms, if any, of coccidiosis?
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 08:39:07 PM »

perhaps you should change your tone because you asked a question  and i gave you an answer  but you thought it was not correct  i quess you found out that birds can starve even though they are eating
joip
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2005, 08:21:43 AM »

Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract the disease spreads from one bird to another by contact with infected feces or droppings in there water. It is most severe in young or weak birds and often causes bloody diarrhea, its very contagious and they often die from dehydration, there are many intestinal bugs or parasites, as I said above young quails should be medicated and have a high protien diet most of the starter feeds cover all this or you can buy supplements to put in thier water, as a young kid my grandfather always put condy's crystals in thier water for worming,
Corn only has a protein level around 10% young quail need 28% and chickens need 15%
I have always used pine shavings and never had an problems, if the pens or however the setup is as long as it kept clean a well balance and high protein diet plus medication he shouldn't have a problem

Joip
tinyavenger
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 11:40:43 AM »

Thanks so much, you are very helpful. I will pass on the info regarding the crystals for worming. Have you experienced any of the seizure-like symptoms in your quail before? I know some people have seen it happen in quail that were getting proper diet and medication, so I'm thinking it may not necessarily be diet related. I never witnessed anything like that with my quail.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »