Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Quail/Chucker/Pheasant egg sizes.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail/Chucker/Pheasant egg sizes.  (Read 14447 times)
Inkmann
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:30:21 PM »

I am new to game bird breeding, I have not even seen eggs in person.

I am ordering the Hova-Bator Incubator w/ 1610--Automatic Egg Turner w/ 6 Universal & 6 Quail Egg Racks.
I want to order my eggs by end of Jan to get good prices.
The difference between 100 & under vs 100+ is $.50 per egg at my local breeder + they will give me 20% extra because of the pre-pay and I am picking them up. I can not mix or combine breeds for best prices.
Thats 120 eggs of each  breed.
They said with the pre pay I can pick them up on 2 different dates per breed, but not 3.

Turner holds a total of six egg racks. Each Universal Egg Rack holds any size from a partridge egg up to duck eggs (total 41 eggs), and with the quail egg racks in place the turner will hold 120 quail eggs.

How big is a Quail egg vs. Chuckar egg???
Will the Chuckar egg fit in the quail rack???
I am pretty sure I will have to use the universal rack for the Pheasantsand maybe thats only 41 birds before any losses.
Could someone post some pictures of the different eggs next to a quarter or a business card for scale???

I am not worried about the Quail hatching, but the Pheasant and Chuckars got me thinking about brooders, grow out pens and flight pens due to the potential age differences.

I really want to get the decent egg prices but don't want 2 incubators or have anyone to split them with and don't want to just toss them out.

I have to buy my eggs in Massachusetts or pay $25 import fee per lot eggs, so I would like to stick with my source 1 hr away. I will pay the fee for my 1st lot of Quail because I have never found any one in MA who sells them.

What do you think????
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 03:33:28 PM by Inkmann » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:52:22 PM »

What do you think?

I think there are no "breeds" of them.

However, there are various species.

:grin:
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »

Jumping right in arnt ya ??   c109

Not the best way as you are seeing.

Are you familiar with Bantam Chicken eggs ? Quail are smaller then most of those. Pheasant eggs are close to Bantam eggs.  Not quite, smaller then some, bigger then some.

Of course there is a difference in Bantam eggs depending on the variety, from silkies to the arucana crosses.  So what I said above also varies 

You could probably get a quick answer by talking to your egg supplier. For now he's your closest guru.

There are several excellent books on incubation you really ought to be reading and studying.  Good luck, if we can help with something of less immedience ask away.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Inkmann
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »

What do you think?

I think there are no "breeds" of them.

However, there are various species.

:grin:

Pardon me Reeves, I did mention I am new to this. s144
I noticed your sarcastic replies in many other topics. You should not bother replying to a lot of them.
 Oh yeah, thanks for your help s80
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:51:52 PM by Inkmann » Logged
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 04:43:59 AM »

:angel:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 09:07:07 AM »

My, my....a wee bit sensitive eh  :grin:

I didn't get into answering your questions, which you for the most part answered yourself !

You didn't mention which species of Pheasant(s) you are getting, nor what your plans are for them.

And as far as me being sarcastic.....well, you being the new kid on the block, I think you are reading more into my words than I typed & simply do not understand.

For this I shall forgive you  s020
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 01:19:58 PM »

Yea and you also did not mention what species and or breed of quail.

According to your plan, buying 120 each before Jan and only have 1 incubator....If my math is correct....you will definately end up waisting the majority of them. I really don't see how you would avoid it. Plus, with your incubator deal from GQF, they will send you 30 bob eggs also. Since you don't want to buy another incubator, is it not possible to buy the other eggs after you have hatched the first batch and so on? ???

Here's a quail egg reference I started a while back. Everyone please feel free to add to it.
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2396.0
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:25:56 PM by aKirA » Logged
Inkmann
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:33:56 PM »

aKira & Jake Thank You for your replies, I should be more clear on my plans.

I plan on doing multiple hatches.
#1 Bob White Quail
#2 Ringneck Pheasants
#3 Chukars

I will take delivery on my eggs at differnt pre selected dates.
I can split my Pheasant & Chukar eggs into 4 pick up dates of my choice per species.
In order to get good pricing per species each I will end up with 55-60 eggs each time, thats why I was wondering if the Chukar eggs will fit in the small egg rack.

I have a couple books on order, but I can't ask questions to a book.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.
John
another1

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:00:39 PM »

i did a little looking i had a similar question a couple day ago heres what i found   http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1965.0     it for a little giant but may help
Inkmann
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 11:06:23 PM »

Thanks another1

That was just what I was looking for.

Please let me know what your plan is and how you make out.

Thanks
John
:?:
another1

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 11:26:37 PM »

was thinkin about hatchin some chukar in the quail egg cups but i might just stick to quail for another season guess we will see what happens
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 06:41:19 AM »

I have not hatched chuckars. But mountain quail eggs barely fit in the quail holders.

Worse come to worse, you can just take out 1 or 2 racks and put the eggs rite on the screen. Of course you would have to turn the ones on the screen manually.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »

I mixed up both racks in mine this past year, I had Painted quail and Chukars in the incubator at the same time. I just changed out every second rack so that the turner stays balanced. Worked out okay.
I've been here a while now, just reading, The guys will joke a little  :grin:, but they don't seem to be too hurtful. If you need help they are pretty good at answering all your questions. I find that the search feature works well. The guys that have been around for a while have answered the same questions so many times that they can get a little testy at times. For us newbies I would strongly suggest a search first.

Welcome and Happy New Year

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »

I've been here a while now, just reading, The guys will joke a little  :grin:, but they don't seem to be too hurtful. If you need help they are pretty good at answering all your questions. I find that the search feature works well. The guys that have been around for a while have answered the same questions so many times that they can get a little testy at times. For us newbies I would strongly suggest a search first.

Welcome and Happy New Year

I've been laughing for the last 20 minutes after reading that.    s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

Me ? Testy ? Never !

i3
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »