Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:49:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Best Birds for Release Hunting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Birds for Release Hunting  (Read 9013 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« on: January 04, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »

Kolby added this to the bottom of a post about incubating.  I thought it might get more replies, here.

"In Connecticut Bobs and pheasant sell better, pheasant
have a good leftover statis after stocking. Bobs fly kinda low for small areas around here. Chukars are new for me so I can't say yet how they hold up after stocking day
but speed, flight hieght and eating size are good. Off hand do you know if they will run around the hedge rows and field edge some what like pheasant.I know predation
takes it's toll but if not what or where will they frequent. "

I have no idea what kind of landscape you have.  They are mountain birds, and do well in dry climates.  If you have a steep hillside, they will find it.  They also tend to head to timber.  They do not run anything like Pheasant, but tend to run a few feet just before flushing.  Wild Chukar likely run more, as do wild Bobwhites, at times.

We have an area in S.E. Missouri that has a few Chukar, left from a grower.  They probably will never reproduce in wet area.  They do seem hardy and clever enough to avoid Coyotes and Bobcats, we have plenty of both.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:45:27 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
kolby

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 05:24:39 PM »

Thanks,
 Nice read,most areas are fields some lowland woods. One field is very large with
 wooded hedge rows and outside lined with timber the hole area about 900 acres
 is uphill graded. One other area seems more like it rolling hills and valley's some
 dry and rocky with semi sharpe elevatinos but then if you go around to get up top
 it flattens out not huge peice about 500 acres.Some of the small steep rockygrades
 have sharp thorns and you can't go up unless you go around the cover.
 Thanks for the info!!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »

Sounds like good place for them to survive, but like I said, you'll probably have to keep replenishing them.  Within 48 hours, they are likely to be in the harshest terrain you have.  But that's why they call it hunting, not shopping.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »

Types ?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:22:29 PM »

Sorry, tipes.

You know, running, non-running, huddling, flying, perching.........

Or is it tripes?

Shut up Canuck, pass me another beer!

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »

I know you meant species that fly, run, walk, perch, roost.....but do the uninformed ?

If you were near, or I near you, I would pass you one.....and still correct you, with a smile (or a smirk).

:grin:
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 10:50:01 PM »

I know you meant species that fly, run, walk, perch, roost.....but do the uninformed ?

If you were near, or I near you, I would pass you one.....and still correct you, with a smile (or a smirk).

:grin:

I have no idea what the fellow who wrote that subject line meant.  Or even who he was.  If I had thought about it, I would have written neither types, nor species.  Had in mind the methods of raising as much as species, maybe that's where "types" came from.  But I don't know.  I'm just glad you caught it before Steve did.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:52:11 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »