Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:38:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Question about Bumblefoot
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Bumblefoot  (Read 2991 times)
vampiric_conure
« on: October 11, 2005, 02:43:37 AM »

One of my laying hens had a really bad case of poop balling up on her toes and as a result, she's developed a swelling of her left foot and some tiny scabs on the bottom of that same foot. I have soaked the bobbles off and gave the dear a foot rinse of saly water and baking soda.

Any suggestions regarding what I can help her recover? Antibiotics?
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:55:35 PM »

neosporin helps a lot. smear a little on the bottom of each foot and rub it in daily.

however, something caused the bumblefoot and its best to find out what before your other quail turn up with the same problem.  are your birds on wire and if so is the building up on it? is the surface too rough to walk on?

hope her feet heal.

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 10:55:32 AM »

I concur with quailer370, soaking and putting neosporin helps heal, but the problem should be fixed also. We have been putting axle grease on the pecked heads...sounds crazy but the birds don't get pecked on anymore and they have been healing alright and growing feathers back. Who knew.  :laugh:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
vampiric_conure
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:54:21 AM »

Thanks guys! **Grins and hugs**

I have my guys in a community cage with newspaper lining the bottom. I then sprinke a fine layer of pine shavings over the paper. I also have a large digging box that gets removed regularly and filled with sand or pine shavings and Alfalfa hay. I try to change the paper regularly- about every 2- 3 days. My other female gets bobbles occassionally, but she and the male's feet are okay. I usually can prevent them. Perhaps I should just switch back to my original 2 inchfloor covering of pine shavings? It's interesting.. my other birds don't have bumblefoot. Mind you, they're all parrots and finches and they've got perches to worry about.

I'll figure out the problem sooner or later. I'll try to change the cage papers more often and see if that helps. :-)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »