Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:00:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  OK DAY 18 at 8:45 AM and no SIGN OF MY COTURNIX QUAIL HATCHING
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: OK DAY 18 at 8:45 AM and no SIGN OF MY COTURNIX QUAIL HATCHING  (Read 11548 times)
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 11:03:06 PM »

Chris   sorry I don't have an extra incubator  tomorrow i will set about 150 eggs and that will fill both I have.I plan on buying a new one soon. and bring it back up to 3.   well let us know when you do find one  and ill send you some eggs for free   just let me know when 
Scot
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »

Thanks alot Scot, I appercaite that offer, and will take you up on it as soon as i get an incubator!

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
topshot
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:06:43 AM »

Hey woodenegg, just sent ya an email that might get your woodworking interest fired up.  Let me know...
Chris, good luck with those eggs.  Like the rest of the guys are tellin' ya, don't get discouraged.  When those little guys finally start poppin' out it'll be worth it.  Sure makes for an awfully long 17-20 days tho' don't it!? 
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »

Thanks i am waiting... If the eggs were not fertile, would they be rotting by now, today is day 18 1/2 or 19... the reason i say 18 1/2 is because the day i set the eggs it was around 3:00 - 3:30 in the afternoon...

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
topshot
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 11:18:21 AM »

Like the others said, day 19 is  still not bad.  If they weren't fertile, they may be rotting, but ya probably wouldn't be able to tell 'til ya busted one open (when that time comes, do it outside.  Better yet, have someone else do it for ya).  If ya had more eggs going I would suggest breaking one to see if there was still hope.  Were ya able to candle the eggs at all during incubation to check for growth?   
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

I tried candling the eggs halfway thru the incubation, but i couldnt see anything the coturnix quail eggs have blotches and it makes it very difficult to penitrate through to see anything. I made a better candler last night (the day they were surpose to hatch) and checked one or two eggs out, but i couldnt see anything but the light did not penitrate at all.... i thought maybe that was a good sign.... well i am still waiting... :(

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 02:35:44 PM »

BAD NEWS!!! :( I had a bad feeling about my eggs, so opened them up...and there was nothing butting rotting yolk.... :( GRRRR I decided to buy a new incubator instead of this chickbator what should i buy that is a resonable price.

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 06:46:36 PM »

sorry to hear Chris. I wish I could help you with eggs but i just butchered my bobwhites because they were eating their own eggs. lol I never seen an egg from them. All i have left is 2 valley quail hens that were laying. One of them looks worn out and sick now.

for lower end incubators, there is the Hova-bator or Little Giant still air incubators.
up a notch, there are the Electric thermostat models.
Im only familiar with the GQF models.
They are selling a kit I just bought that works great. Force air, Electric thermostat incubator. It auto adjust temp. Comes with egg turner, free 30 bobwhite eggs, and free ship.

good luck.
woodenegg
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »

I've got both and they each have advantages and disadvantages.  You learn to work with each and either will hatch eggs.  I've used them to hatch quail, pheasant, duck, chukar and turkey.  Not into chickens and its too cold here for peafowl.  Still have to try geese.  Maybe in the future.
geeter

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »

chris, last summer i bought a "turbofan" incubator and auto egg turner from GQF.  Seems like the grand total was around $120.  Got about a 70% hatch from eggs i ordered from someone on this forum.I know $120 sounds steep, it was to me when i was 17.  If you can somehow swing a better incubator than the chickbator, I think your chances of success will increase dramatically.  I'll be glad to send you some eggs if you need them.  Don't get discouraged.  You'll be amazed the first time you see one of those little ones hatch. 
Thanks
Geeter
Attila
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 01:39:36 AM »

Hey Chris,
I, too, am 17 and I know how sometimes people can think you're a little strange for being interested in hatching birds, but oh well; I'm not really into some of the stuff that they do.
You should keep trying, it will eventually happen.  I have a Hovabator Turbofan w/ a turner that seems to do fairly well.  I think the lower hatch rates that I sometimes get are due to the eggs being shipped, not to the incubator.
A couple years ago I only got 2 Coturnix out of 16 eggs, the next year I got about 20 pheasants from 50 eggs, and in 2 days my 49 Button Quail eggs are due to hatch.  Hopefully the trend keeps going and I'll get at least 20-25.
Good luck in the future!
Attila
ChrisCarreiro

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »

Altia,

Thanks for the encouragment, So you have an AOL instant messenger screen name?

Chris

Chris Carreiro
Swansea,MA
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »