Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Mice!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mice!  (Read 9013 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 08:13:44 PM »

I used to get mice in oil drain pans/tubs that I'd leave laying around with oil in them until I got time to dispose of the oil. It was always a nice treat to have a mouse or two plug up the funnel when dumping the oil out into a drum. Never really thought to make a "trap" out of it.........although it won't do any good catching ground moles! I may just have to set up an oil trap inside the old 1972 VW Bus (also doubles as a storage building) that's setting out behind my garage.

My dogs and cats getting ahold of a poisoned mouse or mole and eating it has always been a concern of mine too.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:23:14 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
superquail77
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »

in my opinion the best way to get rid of them thats fun is get some feed and put it on the ground by where u know they are get a bb gun go out at night with a flashlight  shine where the feed is and get ready to shoot
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 10:52:19 AM »

in my opinion the best way to get rid of them thats fun is get some feed and put it on the ground by where u know they are get a bb gun go out at night with a flashlight  shine where the feed is and get ready to shoot

:laugh:   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 06:31:59 PM »

bump:

Have been looking for this thread and finally found it.  Thought some of you new bee's might be interested in the trap. 

It is that time of the year and the mice are running amok.  Hope it works, I will let you all know.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »

Thanks I feel special that someone has been looking for my topic for awhile and bumped it :grin:

Yes, the mice our on the move again :evil: Killed on a couple a days ago...

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 06:49:15 PM »

It was a good topic Chukar Breeder.  Now if I can get my hubby out to put that bucket together. c110

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 08:19:59 PM »

all this talk about killing the poor little fuzzy wuzzy mousies for just trying to survive. wait a minute what am I saying. c110 we had a problem with rats when we first started. some bait. a flashlight and a 22 did a number on them. I started with the rat shot and found it's not powerfull enough need a second shot and it doesn't have enough to cycle the action so I went back to the regular ammo we also started putting all our grain in covered metal cans in the birds houses. and the birds get fed inside. these steps along with one serious rat killer of a dog that stays out most of the time solved that problem and knock on wood the mice have not been a problem . I did have an English setter that almost climbed a tree after a mouse. funniest thing I have ever seen. blew the mouses mind too for a second  i3

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 10:16:04 PM »

Dog climbed a tree?  Now that's funny.

It's not the new feed they are in.  They are in the actual feeders.  Can't use bait because the dogs and cats eat any mice they find.   They are inside the flight pens, so no dogs or cats allowed. 

So The drowning method is the best way I can think of.   

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 10:56:17 PM »

funny is right I wish I had it on film up until the point where  dog caught  the mouse the footage would have been prime for Americas funniest animals

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Bagaria Quail Farm
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 12:20:50 PM »

c29 yeah mice is a good topic. The are a real problem when you raise quail it seems like. We have done alot of work on our dark house so that we do have mice and a few rats they can't get to the food, the come in the house under the house, just to find a wire floor on the inside. We have holes and see where they try but as of yet it seems to work for us. We also keep our food in the bird house in plastic trash cans so they can't get into it there. They get in the bird house and get a special treat called deacon, it works great we have no animals other than caged breeders in the bird house. We had a problem with a raccoon in our reserve pens it was retired breeders and it killed quite a few before we caught him. Also possum are not nice critters, they are mean. We trapped one and All he did was hiss until he was turned lose about 20 miles down the road. But oh well it is winter and the poor little critters are trying to survive like everything else in the world but they have a hard time of it at this farm. Take care ya'll I like the bucket trap I might have to try that one outside the flight pen so the will quit digging holes under it.Bye for now Betty
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »