Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  New or Existing Member's Section
| | |-+  Gonna be an intersting year....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gonna be an intersting year....  (Read 5392 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: January 06, 2008, 05:06:16 PM »

Well, my partner just informed me he doesn't want to raise birds anymore. Just when we were getting on plan  s176 Didn't see this one coming, that's for sure. But, on thte bright side, the decisions are all mine now, and the rewards shall be greater, that's for sure. So, on top of new flight pens and a brooder barn, I am now going to the bank this week to get a loan for a pole barn for layers, and materials for cages. Going to be another busy year.  s020

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »

Bird prices are dropping and the demand is shrinking due to the market being over saturated with breeders and feed prices always increasing. I would re consider getting a loan and slowly upgrade with cash money if I was you. Let the economy settle down and the elections run their paces. Then you can see what will become of our bird businesses. Just a suggestion from someone that has been in this all his life. I have never seen feed prices so high, people not wanting to pay for the higher bird prices due to the higher feed prices, people raising their own birds for their dogs, and all the breeders looking to make it rich in the bird business.
finnegan

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:43:41 PM »

we are busy building as well we are maxed out on pens and a new season coming up so  off to work we go
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:42:35 AM »

Well, my partner just informed me he doesn't want to raise birds anymore. Just when we were getting on plan  s176 Didn't see this one coming, that's for sure. But, on thte bright side, the decisions are all mine now, and the rewards shall be greater, that's for sure. So, on top of new flight pens and a brooder barn, I am now going to the bank this week to get a loan for a pole barn for layers, and materials for cages. Going to be another busy year.  s020

Chris

Well Chris, that just sucks! Did he actually blind side ya with this, or did you see it coming? I mean there had to be some indication. Do you have to buy him out?

Good luck to ya Chris, you have the business knowledge as well as the bird business industry ingrained in your blood, you will just have to work three times as hard now.

Did ya finish up on the new house?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:04:58 PM »

Thanks for the support Steve. I had an inkling something was wrong, but not to this degree. I figured it was just day to day stresses wearing on him, but seems I was wrong. Not sure how the split is going to go, but I have most everything I need to keep me going, except pen and barn space. Probably will have to buy some cages, feeders, waterers, etc, but I'm not in too bad a position equipment wise. As for the website, all internet responsibilities were mine, and listed in my name. So that isn't an issue. More than not I was looking forward to a calmer year mow that we were in the black and on track for a very profitable year. It still will be, but now the workload will be 100% mine. On the bright side, the profits will all be mine as well, so it'll be ok. I have standing orders of 2000 flight quail for trainers this year, and egg sales are looking good as well. So I figure I should be in the black and going strong next year. And as a bonus, I was at the bank today ~ interest rates are .5 points lower than when I signed the construction loan. I can take an extra $10,000 out on the house for the pole barn and a couple flight pens and still have a lower mortgage payment. Things are already looking up....

WHITNEYPLU - thanks for your concern  p42 Trust me when I say I know what the market is doing right now. Feed that was 200 a ton last year is right now 320 a ton ~ quite an increase. I also know that noone in the quail business is getting rich, and I am no fly by night operation by any means. I have researched every aspect of the business, have strived to earn and keep my customers business, and at the same time, adapt to the changes that seem to come about at times it seems overnight. My plan when I started this was to make enough money to pay off my house in 12 years, ( I also have a "real" job as a factory rat ), and then make enough in the following 6 years to put my 11 month old through college. So believe me when I say I know the risks....

Steve, the house still needs some odd and ends done. Little trim here, grass to seed, driveway to pave, etc. But it is nice to have it pretty much done, and will get some pics up hopefully soon. The baby has finally gotten over the pneumonia (4 weeks worth), and dad can now sleep better at night.... Hope  the weather isn't too bad in your neck of the woods. It was 62 today, and we are getting hammered with severe thunderstorms, and a tornado warning north of us about an hour.... all in January. Go figure.

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »

Hi Chris

Have  a GREAT year, and more power to you.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 08:33:47 AM »

Steve, the house still needs some odd and ends done. Little trim here, grass to seed, driveway to pave, etc. But it is nice to have it pretty much done, and will get some pics up hopefully soon. The baby has finally gotten over the pneumonia (4 weeks worth), and dad can now sleep better at night.... Hope  the weather isn't too bad in your neck of the woods. It was 62 today, and we are getting hammered with severe thunderstorms, and a tornado warning north of us about an hour.... all in January. Go figure.

Chris,
Looking forward to seeing some inside pictures of the house. Glad to here the baby has finally gotten over the pneumonia. I am still battling it since Dec 26th. It suck gasping for air. the chance in the weather pattern in the extremes doesn't help either.

I was looking at the weather report for the southern area of MI last night and it was quite interesting to say the least. The weather here hasn't been to bad, basically the same as last year, just a little dryer. Temperature roller coaster rides seem to be the norm here in WV in Jan. Two more months of winter and it will be all over, and time to start up the egg production once again.

See ya later Chris and I will be looking forward to the pictures j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »

Yup, good luck Chris and I hope everything goes Great!
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 08:42:48 AM »

I was just wondering, along with the pen and barn space, is he taking the customer list too? Or is he done raising/selling? If not you might want an agreement as to who gets the customer rights.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 08:50:25 AM »

Hi Chris

Have  a GREAT year, and more power to you.

Jake,
In your signature line:
Dont mix species or age groups of birds !

I will go along with not mixing pheasant/quail/chukar in that format, but mixing different species of pheasant, Chinese/Manchurian, Melanistic Mutant/ Manchurian,(upland hunting game bird) I don't see a problem with. I wouldn't mix Reeves and RNs or Goldens with Reeves and so on.

As far as age groups? it all depends on the situation and how it is done. Again, I am referring to pheasants only. I have 2001,2003,2004,2005,and 2006 birds hen and cock under the same flight pen and in the barn.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 09:02:42 AM »

Once again it must be Beginers luck, I have Manchurian Xs , 1 male 2 females with my Chukars, 1 male 2 females, the Chukars and Man. Xs even laid in the same nest last year. I hope I never get to know enough about raising birds that it becomes a problem, as this mix has worked, without any trouble since last May. Of course I only have a few birds together and they have alot of room each. My Rn., Golden, Lady Ams., Red Gold. prs. all have 150sq.' pens of their own.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 05:40:11 PM »

Hi Steve

I stand by the signature block.

YOU are an expert. Among other things you can read their body language and you know if they are going to kill others, you also know how to space your birds out, you know how to do a LOT of things that beginners will never think of, and not knowing the difference would needlessly kill and/or injure  a number of birds.

Another example, I have spent better then 30 years working with very dominant and aggressive police and security dogs, I get along with them, I'm dominant aggressive myself, and I can read them without even thinking about it, I am ALWAYS leader of the pack, even if its only two of us. So I routinely do things with these dogs that would wind others in the hospital critical care, or worse. But I never reccommend beginners to do what I do. Different strokes for different folks, depending on experience levels.

You know what species of Pheasants not to mix, and ones you can, okay as far as that goes, but Goldens and Amhearst can also crossbreed. Lots of bad things  can happen when mixing. Once a person has a couple years experience under their belt in keeping game birds and exotics let them do what they want, they should have known better if it doesnt work out.

You said yourself in the thread here on Mixing Birds not to mix them, you and I both know that under the 'right' conditions that birds CAN be mixed,  but the right conditions have to be met.  They vary and can change quickly.

But, for beginners I still say Never mix species or age groups of birds.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 05:46:31 PM by Jake Levi » Logged

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »