Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Ground vs. elevated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ground vs. elevated?  (Read 4196 times)
sdquail

Personal Text

« on: June 28, 2010, 03:16:14 AM »

I'm building a 10' x 20' pen with about a 9' ceiling. I live in So. Cal. and have good drainage, but wondering if I should build an elevated mesh floor instead? Pro's? cons? Intending on putting a group of bobwhites in there. Any advice would help.  ty2

Lastly, if constructing small pens for gambels or valley's to pair up, will the cocks fight if there is only a wire mesh separating pairs or should there be some space between pairs? Hope that makes sense.  s144
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:22:46 AM by sdquail » Logged
sunrise

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 10:36:07 AM »

i have raised valleys and gambels on gravel for two years and i am now having significant problems with disease.  everything i have read tells me you will have fewer problems raising them on wire.  you can successfully raise them on a sandy material if it stays really dry and they have enough room (low population).  i am now in the process of building a wire floor to my cage.
my experience with valley and gambel cocks is that they co exist very well together.  you will get one or two alpha males and subordinates, but they dont seem to fight.  i have mixed others in later and they accept them in the covey fine.  you can mix gambel and valley, and blue scale, but cant add mountain.  they will kill mountain quail for some reason.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »