Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  How to improve stock size and quaility in quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to improve stock size and quaility in quail  (Read 11989 times)
bigjohn

« on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:26 PM »

I would like some opinions on the best breeding method of improving the quality (size, egg laying, etc) of my birds.  I raise Texas A&M coturnix quail.

Is it best to breed father to daughter or mother to son to get the safest outcome?  Or is it ok to breed brothers and sisters?

I know you would breed the best and biggest birds to hopefully create better and bigger birds, but what is the best way to accomplish this?  And for how many generations is it 'safe' to keep breeding in the same 'family'?

I am going to cull all of my small birds and use only the largest and best to improve what I have.

Hope my questions make sense ................
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:43:12 PM »

Big John, the best I can tell you is this;  Starting with your breeding stock, pick out the best birds. Not only the biggest, but the largest AND most active. This will give you the most meat.
 I am going to breed 3rd generation  next summer. My 2nd gen. are doing great.
 They are from my original stock, and may have the same father, but not the same mother. Or the opposite.
 I would  start a breeding colony. Figure 1 Male to 4 Hens to start. If you are starting with new breeders and they have lived together from birth they will not have a problem with dominance. Also, the males will be pretty busy.
John, birds of this type are hard to mess up. After all, you are not breeding brains, you're breeding meat. Bset of luck! Ghost.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:20:28 AM »

Big John, the best I can tell you is this;  Starting with your breeding stock, pick out the best birds. Not only the biggest, but the largest AND most active. This will give you the most meat.
 I am going to breed 3rd generation  next summer. My 2nd gen. are doing great.
 They are from my original stock, and may have the same father, but not the same mother. Or the opposite.
 I would  start a breeding colony. Figure 1 Male to 4 Hens to start. If you are starting with new breeders and they have lived together from birth they will not have a problem with dominance. Also, the males will be pretty busy.
John, birds of this type are hard to mess up. After all, you are not breeding brains, you're breeding meat. Bset of luck! Ghost.

Now that is some solid advice!  s98 greyghost !

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »

s98  greyghost !

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:30:59 PM »

s98  Ghost!  And ou got that right, if we were breeding brains..............most of us would be alot farther than we are !!!! s020 s020 s020
greyghost
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:01:50 PM »

Thanks all! Once in a while I get lucky.

It is while the wife is gone! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »

Thanks all! Once in a while I get lucky.

It is while the wife is gone! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. LOL!

s020
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 01:15:31 PM »

s020n  That's probably she's not there to point out what you're doing wrong !!!!! s020
  You're lucky she comes back to keep you on the proverbial straight and narrow. s020
greyghost
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 08:32:16 PM »

Bingo!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »