Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  wild quail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wild quail  (Read 5082 times)
cavalryduke
« on: July 17, 2004, 01:15:13 AM »

I have had a momma quail nesting in a hanging basket for the past three weeks on my porch.  She has a clutch, or should I say had, of ten eggs.  i noticed yesterday that three of the eggs are hatched, but she and the babies have gone missing.  I then noticed one this morning that was hatching and has now broken free.  Momma has not returned.  Will she return?  Or will this little one die?  If she doesn't return, what can I do for this little one and any others that might hatch?  I am a sucker and would hate to see them die if I can do something the right way for them.  And if I do something, will they be able to go free eventually?  Also, with this one by itself, will it be warm enough or should I cover the nest or what?  It's been in the high 80's at night.  It only has the other eggs with it.  Any info will be appreciated.  Thanks
muttsburg
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:50:57 AM »

cavalryduke,

If you really want to give it a try you need to get him in a brooder box with a light bulb bringing the temp up to 95 degrees for the first week decreasing temp by 5 degrees each week.

He needs water ASAP in a very shallow lid with just the bottom covered so he doesn't get water in his nostrils and drown. Chick Starter (from a feed mill) needs to be put through a blender to chop it almost to a powder in order for him to swallow it and digest it. This should be sprinkled on the floor of the box, they don't understand feeders that young. If you got some tomorrow it would be alright because he will live for 2-3 days after hatching without it but the sooner the better. The hardest time I've had with raising 1 is they get lonesome and don't thrive. I tried a mirror and it helped but the food and water have to be right in front of the mirror because he won't leave the mirror to look for it.

Play with him in his box as much as you can, handling isn't really good for him because your hands and the room temp won't be warm enough for him yet. He should accept you as his Mom, your making quite a commitment here and his chances alone aren't very good if you don't have the time.

Good luck and keep us posted.
cavalryduke
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 02:31:15 AM »

Thanks so much for a quick reply.  I am setting up a light now and have gotten a small lid to put water in.  The little critter has been out there peeping and I think he's getting cold so hopefully the light will help.  Why do you think the mama left after only three eggs hatching?  Do you think she will be back or would she have already been back by now if she was gonna?  At least he will be warm for the night and have some water.  I will see in the morning if mom comes back and if not, then it's off to the feed store to get some starter.  At least my blender will get some use.  I will keep you posted.  Thanks ever so much.  I was gonna worry all night otherwise.
cavalryduke
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 11:20:48 AM »

Well, it's morning now and I can see by the light of day(I was out last night with only a flashlight) this poor little critter has some problems and that's most likely why mama left.  He can hardly hold his little head up and even though he seemed to drink a little water last night and some more this morning along with some mash I made, he's very weak.  Can't  stretch out his right foot either.  I guess mama knew what she was doing  when she left with the first three.  I'm sure this little guy won't make it through the day.  It's just sad that  he worked so hard to get out of his shell just to have to die, but, I guess that's nature.  Survival of the fittest.  Agaiin, thank-you for the quick reply.
muttsburg
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 11:26:04 PM »

cavalryduke

Sorry to hear about the little guy, but even under perfect conditions they can have major problems. Bless you for trying but like you said, Mama must have known best.

Your very welcome and thank you for trying.
cavalryduke
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 10:31:13 AM »

The little critter passed during the night.  I was surprised that he made it that long as his breathing wasn't the best.  I put him under the mesquite tree with alot of the other critters that have come and gone around here.  Then, the stoopid baby dove in the nest above jumped down and ran into the dogs yard so I had to do some quick moving to keep the dogs away from it and snatch it up to put back in it's nest.  It's sibling took off yesterday but this one isn't quite ready.  Just what I'd need, to lose another one. sheesh  birds  No wonder someone came up with the phrae "birdbrain". LOL   I still have the six eggs left but I don't think those will hatch.  I had them under the light with the little critter.  I am now going out to dismantle the area where the nest was.  Let them build somewhere away from me.  Where I can be a non-participating viewer.  I like your little saying: it's not messy, that's the way I arranged it.  I did find out quite a bit about quail and birds in general so I will keep this site on my favorites.  Thanks again. :)
muttsburg
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:59:19 AM »

Your very welcome cavalryduke,  it is a great site and has a wealth of information available.

There was a lot more that was lost when the new site replaced the old one but the people with the knowledge are still here. Keep checking back, the information just keeps building.
cavalryduke
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 10:36:21 PM »

I know what you mean about old sites shutting down.  Back in '99 I found a great equine site that gave me a whole lot of great information as well as support while I was dealing with my old 27 year old mare that got a squamous tumor in her right nostril.  I had had her since she was a month old, so I was trying to find out everything I could.  After a while it shut down.  I did however, come across another site that had some of the same people on it and one in particular, I talk to still.  Almost daily.  BUT!!!!!!!!  The big news is, i now have two babies.  Yesterday morning when iwent out, i saw there was an egg missing of the six that were left.  I figured it was a packrat, got in there and snatched it.  So, when I got home this evening, I just happened to go ver to the box and look in and lo and behold!!!!!!!!!  There was a cute little baby quail.  I then picked up part of the towel and out popped another.  So, I'm wondering if by tomorrow, there will be any more???!!!!!!!!  I now have to go first thing in the morning and get some starter mash for them.  I put some water down and showed them it  and so far they have run by it, over it, around it, through it, but not stopped to take a drink.  Will they do that by themselves without mama to show them?  Cause I sure can't fit in that box to show them.  I took an eye dropper and stuck their little beaks up to the end and they acted like they drank a little but...  I'm sure no expert.  I guess I'll have to set up the light again tonight if it  "cools" down below 90 tonight.  Last night it was VERY hot and humid so  I left the light off.  I still thought I should keep the eggs warm and looky what happened.  Holy crap!  I'm gonna need some assistance on this one as I know nothing about raising birds.  And how do you train them to set them free?????  I can't have them hanging around cause the dogs will get them if they can.  Except for little Spikey, my Queensland.  He LOVES babies.  He shoulda been a girl. hehe  So, I will be looking up all kinds of stuff and taking any advice.  Wish me luck!!!!!!!   :o
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »