Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  About rasing Huns
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: About rasing Huns  (Read 4583 times)
kolby

« on: January 07, 2009, 06:08:45 AM »

I know quail and chukar I raise them on wire. Do Hungarian Partridge need to be
  raised on wire or like pheasant you can raise them on soil.

Thanks
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:53:59 AM »

They will do better on wire and they aren't much different in there rearing than quail and chukar. They will do fine in an Avery if you are keeping them for that type of project. You will just have to treat for the disease they will contact on the ground. If you are going to raise them in volume then I would raise them on wire. They are great gamebirds and you will enjoy them very much..
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:01:12 AM by slider » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
kolby

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:36:06 PM »

Thanks Slider,

Do Huns do well for hunt clubs like pheasant or better and what cover types hold
 huns to an area. We have a few places pheasant will stay for months until harvested
 Which game birds raised in the best situation will have the most fear of man or beast
 What are the pros and cons for releasing huns on hunting club land  comparing to
 pheasant. I'm gearing this toward huntability as opposed to rearing cost. Though
 some insight in that area is fine to.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:41:42 PM »

I have no experience in the Game Management Farms which release birds for paid hunting. I do know that they are used extensively for that purpose in many areas of the U.S. Maybe someone with Game Farm management experience can give you the answers you are looking for.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
puphood1

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:56:28 AM »

I have no experience in the Game Management Farms which release birds for paid hunting. I do know that they are used extensively for that purpose in many areas of the U.S. Maybe someone with Game Farm management experience can give you the answers you are looking for.
Huns in my experiance are very adaptable to to grain fields with brush or med. grass edges/crp fields. I still have Huns running around from early fall release around here and we have had a lot of snow. They are tough and wild and fly well if raised in flight pens. I raise all mine on a dirt floor flight pen 90 X 20 X12. The only complaint I have ever heard about Huns is they covey up so once you release them in singles or small groups they tend to gather up later in large coveys. People that have bought them for hunting release from me last year were very pleased with the quality of the flight of these birds ansd their wildness...puphood1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »

Around here, the few that are raised are used mostly for the novelty.   Something a little different to keep customers returning.

On producer started them recently.  He said one problem is that they must be stared on wire, because they will eat shavings.  I have heard some say they don't take to feed as well, right after hatching.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
kolby

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »

Great, just wish they don't make only one huge covey during fall. Perhaps releasing
 some once a week will help keep them all from coveying at once during hunting
 season
Vrex

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »

My dogs and I love coveys. c110
kolby

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »

Well you might be onto something coveys are great.  But can you get in gun range or
have a dog point a covey of Huns... hhmmm if you can get in range or have a dog point a covey of Huns I want Huns
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »

Not sure about your dogs.     s020

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »