Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:13:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Marbles In the waterer... how long?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Marbles In the waterer... how long?  (Read 7457 times)
JohnInDixon
« on: July 04, 2006, 03:21:05 PM »

I use marbles in my waters for the new chicks..  My question is how long is this necessary (generally) One week? two weeks?  I think me and Mom are doing for too long at 4 weeks.  I did a search on this site and found one person suggest 1 week should be plenty, any other suggestions?  Hate to lose any because of something as simple as drowning which could be prevented.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 08:25:39 PM »

I use em too. I take them out no later than two weeks.
Note: some birds notice any small change & will fear that change for some time. Take a few at a time. I (the wife) changes the water every day. So the end of week one a couple are taken each time.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:27:27 PM »

I second that. If they can't keep their nose out of the water at 1-2 weeks, they'll never make it to the Arctic Training camp that you speak so highly of anyway. I bet you have some day olds that you use for quail popcorn too don't you? Kinda like popcorn shrimp or somethin'?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:51:50 AM »

I keep mine in for about a week.  By that time, that are walking good, more like running and have their balance, etc.  Mine seem to think they need to go for a swim and than roll in the feed at about 4 or 5 days old.  I've discovered it's not just the coturnix, my bobwhite chicks are doing the same thing.  Maybe is like breading or a crumb coat for the popcorn bobs?
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 05:05:36 AM »

I dont use marbles. I make my own waterers and they wont be able to drown from the ones I make. :angel:

but I would say around 2 weeks old till they wont be able to drown on their own.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 08:14:36 AM »

I use small stones/rocks and leave them in about a week or so, till they are all running around good. This is in the mason jar type quart waterer.
At 2 weeks I usually switch to a gallon waterer as long as they are big enough to reach over it.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
JohnInDixon
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 08:45:18 AM »

I second that. If they can't keep their nose out of the water at 1-2 weeks, they'll never make it to the Arctic Training camp that you speak so highly of anyway. I bet you have some day olds that you use for quail popcorn too don't you? Kinda like popcorn shrimp or somethin'?
I call those "soup starters"!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »

ROFL!  That's a good one, I sometimes wonder if you even have any marbles?  LOL!

j/k

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
kat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 08:41:31 PM »

I think we were washing marbles and a jar lid for about a week. Then we really thought our week old bobwhite and cotrunix would have to purposely dive in, choose to stick there and sink his head purposefully in order to drown. [Though, I should say, within the first week I very well could see many would have fallen over like a 2 yr old boy in his plate of s'getti] 
We have, since week one, used the chick waterer.

I have put a large tupperware lid full of water as a birdbath- they love it. They are in a pen with wire mesh flooring  that I  cover fresh daily with a piece of carpenter's paper. They seem to want to do a dust bath on the paper. Do you provide dirt for a dust bath when yours are up on wire mesh?

We just received our first copy of GameBird Gazette. I saw the photos throughout and wanted just to go out and hold ours. My, it is difficult for us to hold them now they are out in their pen:(

kat
quailacres
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 09:44:06 PM »

About ten days should be long enough to ensure none drown. Marbles are popular but some type of home made or manufactured drown proof waterer is easier! I agree it's always tempting to want to hold the precious little ones... maybe not always the best thing to do... maybe they shouldn't be planting the though with all those pictures in there :laugh:
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 06:24:41 AM »

large tupperware lid full of water as a birdbath

Bad idea. When wet they can chill & die. Supply a tub of sand for their bath.

My, it is difficult for us to hold them now they are out in their pen:(

Sorry, another bad idea. Game Birds really do not like to be handled. When they kick in your hand trying to get away, they can blow out a knee or hip real easy. Then you have one to cull.
kat
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 10:01:08 AM »

Thank you, I wont do the lid of water for a bath. Though, how hot is too hot? Is there such a thing for these birds? I think it was 101 degrees in the shade. Is there a healthy way to cool them if they need it? 
And, what kind of sand? We have sand here on the beach- Atlantic beach sand? I dont think the fireants are in our yard. Could I dig a bowl of dirt?
thanks
kat
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 10:09:55 AM »

I was at a concrete place a couple years back. Saw this washed golden colored sand & thought it would be perfect for all my birds. Bought 5 ton of the stuff.
Put it in with my Quail & the Bobs got all long necked looking at it like it was going to kill them ! Then all my Pheasants & Quail made their own dusting places in the dirt. They never did like the expensive stuff, which ended up in the garden to loosen the top soil.

The one thing I would be concerned with ocean sand would be the salt content.

Dirt will work OK. Sand from by a creek, sand dunes etc. Just don't buy any washed golden stuff   :laugh:

Living in northern Alberta, I'll leave your heat question to others  :laugh:
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 11:21:26 AM »

I used to raise rabbits in Phoenix, AZ, and bred them, even in the summer.  I had burlap hanging from the eves of the roof with water dripping on it.  It created one very large swamp cooler and would cool the air 10 to 20 degrees.  They also make mist nozzles that use very little water, create very tiny droplets that have the same effect.  By using a fan to pull air through the burlap curtain, the air was actually very compfortable inside the rabbitry.  If your humidity is high, this of course will not work as swamp coolers require evaporation to work.  You will need to make sure the water is not getting on the food or you will have moldy kibble for the birds.
honda2hummer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 04:34:17 PM »

I never thought about taking a few marbles out at a time, that is a good idea.!!!!
I do notice they don't like alot of change, so that would work out alot better.
Keep up the good idea's peps.'
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »