Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 12:14:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  why are they dying?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: why are they dying?  (Read 2812 times)
chukardog
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:10:58 PM »

Im having a problem of loosing chicks after they are placed in the brooder. Im waiting until they are fully dry to move them. They und up dead right under the light. My brooder is plenty warm too. Im at a loss as these are nice looking chicks until they go into the brooder and then theyre dead in a couple of hours.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 09:24:25 PM »

how well do you disinfect the brooder?  it could be bacterial   or that they are just week birds i use full strength  bleach  before they are put into my incubator
wirenut

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »

Now , some of you may call me nuts or I don,t run a very good place for birds.But I do clean out the poop in the houses and till and plant the flight pens. Clean the waters and feeders. Keep the outsides clean as much as time will allow me. But for bleaching my waters from time to time, I have not disinfected any of my items. My birds have always tested fine with no problems of any kind.. That is not to say it is not good practice and should be done and one day may catch up with me. Also I don,t run a run down place either. Chuckerdog, you may have good heat for your chicks, but do they have room to get away from it if they have to and do they have fresh air to. I learned that when I was having lots of chicks dying"my wife told me that they need some air circulation " . I had good brooders built plenty of room and heat BUT no  or little fresh air. Look at those couple items and see what happens. And also to let you know, my breeders are laying now.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 06:11:55 AM »

Im having a problem of loosing chicks after they are placed in the brooder. Im waiting until they are fully dry to move them. They und up dead right under the light. My brooder is plenty warm too. Im at a loss as these are nice looking chicks until they go into the brooder and then theyre dead in a couple of hours.

Chukardog,

After reading all the other posts, I am curious to what chicks are dying or that had died, and what feed you are giving them. Is it a medicated or non medicated feed.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »