Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:58:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Winter Temps?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Temps?  (Read 2090 times)
Coyote_Texas
« on: December 20, 2005, 11:07:32 AM »

I have some 4 week old BobWhites, they have most of their feathers, but was wondering how much of the cold weather they can take?
I currently have 2 heat lamps in their pen, covered with insulated blankets and tarps to help keep drafts out and heat in, but did want to see if there was advice on the tolerence for colder weather.
I'm in Texas, so most of the weather isn't that cold. I was curious as to how some of the folks up north handled their birds and if there were any words of wisdom.
Thanks and Merry Christmass everyone.. :-)
zip
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 02:45:59 PM »

I live in New England and we dont have birds that young this time of the year. When I do hatch out some in the spring (our spring temps can be in the 40s) I start the brooder at 95 degrees and reduce it at 5 degree increments per week for 6 to 8 weeks or until the outside temps are the same as the brooder. Ive lost birds by taking the heat out too soon. I dont think their feathers are developed enough at 4 weeks to keep them warm. I would leave the heat in for a good 8 weeks and then reduce it a little at a time so it doesnt shock the birds. Oh yea by the way it was 10 below zero here last night.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »