Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  wild quail restoration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: wild quail restoration  (Read 4466 times)
vjohnson
« on: March 04, 2005, 08:05:05 AM »

Hi!  Have any of you used the surrogator from quail restoration technologies to raise & release quail?  Do you guys know of any other release systems?  Has anyone had any success?  

I'm interested in restoring the wild bobwhite quail population and the owner of about 600 acres wants me to work with him and do some research.  I hardly know where to start!

Thanks,  Valerie
pocketsierra
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:11:20 PM »

I have no experience, but there is at least one other that's been mentioned here before.

http://www.qualitywildlife.com

And if you search the internet for quail release systems or similar keywords, you should be able to find others.

Nathan
flightedquail
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:18:22 AM »

Hello,  I have been supplying day old chicks to several ranchers for their surrogators for about four years now and most have had great success.
The KEY is fresh water, food and DO NOT modify the design of the surrogator with one exception.  You will need to put down either a muslin or rough craft paper on the floor in the beginning IF you are in a windy area.
Also provide food fines around in the surrogator until the chicks learn where the " feed trough" is. Maintain the heat.

Hope this helps.
vjohnson
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 08:01:58 AM »

Thanks for the help!  I printed your replies so I can refer to it when we get started.  I'm new at this, do you have any recommended reading?

Valerie
Palm Valley Quail
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 09:00:05 PM »

http://www.quailprogramvideo.com/
You could also look into this program. I have had success with it. I'm waiting to see if my pen raised/wild quail will have little ones running around before long.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »