Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Pick your battles ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pick your battles ?  (Read 6290 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: April 14, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

All winter (and the odd time during summer) it's a battle with Coyotes & Weasels.

Well, the creek at my place is open and on the way to town this morning I noticed a Beaver , sitting calmly on a dirt hump, eating one of my trees.

Walking through the back yard, noticed the Deer had topped several of my newly (last spring) planted Saskatoon trees. On the way back from town this morning....
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 01:56:40 PM »

Back straps for dinner :grin:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

I wish !
Wrong season and Mule Deer are on draw only here (my area) . Which is wierd. Wife counted 41 in a field about 1km south of here.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:54:58 PM »

Looks as though it may be time to quit layin' around and get that fence up?  ^-^

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:08:40 PM »

They want miss just 1.... s020

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:17:20 PM »

Heck, if it were me...I'd build my fence around the whole lot of them! c110 a29
frank_lap_127
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:22:20 AM »

Weasels are the animals who stress me the most, even if they are more stupid than racoon, they can enter everywhere because of their size! I've also mink here, dogs (because some stupid dudes are not able to keep them appropriatly), racoons, owls and sometimes, even otter! (I live right beside a lake, my pen is at 50' from it...)

About beaver, if you don't like him to be around your house, it's a wonderful animal to eat! (Smell bad when you cook it but so tasty!). This fall I want to try muskrat and bear!  j1 It might seems weird but I've eat many kind of meat and I'll eat for many years!

Frank
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:11:55 AM »

Reeves,

My heart goes out to ya. i6 I planted about $100.00 worth of various bulbs last year that they listed as deer resistant, meaning less likely to bother.

They never stated that the rabbits and squirrels enjoyed them though. s49

Time to get a damage permit s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »

Time to get a damage permit

Permits are free here (S.S.S.)  :evil:

Looks as though it may be time to quit layin' around and get that fence up?

Need a bunch more free pipe, then a bunch of money to buy the fence. For temp protection I'll have to cobble something together.....

Was supposed to start operating a hoe for new water/sewer job in the city yesterday. It got put off till next Monday (again). This will give me something to do till the pipeline work starts up.
The water/sewer type companies in the city will not put my truck on, or pay travel (up to two hours one way) or LOA (living out allowance). Cuts into the hourly pay big time. (plus no free steel pipe)
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:31:29 AM »

Make a few bucks guiding deer hunts :grin:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »

Make a few bucks guiding deer hunts :grin:

I can see that  now.....I'm doing the hard sell, the guy is looking over my shoulder as 41 Mule Deer walk past in parade formation @ 50yds  s020
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »

Just need to find some guys that hunt the high fence game farms. Thats what they want to see.
Short walk, 50 yard shot, some quick trophy pics and back home.  s020
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 10:05:44 AM by NH/Pete » Logged

Abraham Lincoln
frank_lap_127
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »

I see there's a lot of Mule Deer hunters here, I have a question.

What's the meat tasting the best between Mule and White-Tailed? I've already heard that Mule Deer was tasting  s53 compare to white-tailed and I didn't believe the guy who told me this. When my dad was in BC, he was hunting the ''Black-Tailed Deer'' (for the ones who don't know it's just a sub-sp. of the Mule) and told me that both were really good as long as the meat was old enough and the animal not too old, etc.

Anyway, for the moment I eat white-tailed and it's wonderful. I'm still waiting to fall :

c110    a29

Frank
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 11:16:41 PM »

Best part of a deer period is the small intestines. Cook some good soup with that and deer meat etc. YUmmmmmy!!!! a29
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »

You eat the guts ? Yuk !

Cats woke me @ 2AM......Deer in the yard. They sure are hanging out at my place a lot this year.....
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »