Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:51:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Gapeworm and Levamisole
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gapeworm and Levamisole  (Read 6633 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: July 07, 2005, 08:49:36 PM »

Just wondering if anyone knows how much of the powdered levamisole goes into 5 gallons of water?

The only thing I've been told is 1 gram of levamisole to 1 gallon of water, but that seems like such a small amount of wormer for that much water?

If anyone has experience in this it'd be much appreciated, as I keep having to deal with these darn gapeworms...

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
ssbuman
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 02:49:14 AM »

i read this caution on another site and thought I would pass it on

Levamisole (and tetramisole, which is no longer available in most countries), should be used with caution. (Because of it's chemical makeup, an effective dose of levamisole is half that of tetramisole.) It has a wide range of toxicity from as little as 66 mg/kg of body weight in wild birds, on up to 300 mg/kg in geese. Levamisole can be toxic to ducks at 40-80mg/kg of body weight.
onpoint

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:06:02 PM »

Use liquid Safeguard instead. I got a small, 4 oz. bottle at TSC which is enough to worm 500 pheasants several times. I had gapeworms also. Gave the Safeguard, and the next day, the birds were on their way to recovery. It is also very forgivibg, meaning you can't hardly give them too much that it would hurt them.

Chuck Rose
Sunset Acres Gamebirds & Dog Training Area
Centerburg, Ohio
740-625-7511
740-504-0033
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:36:48 PM »

i bought some wazine 17 to worm my bob white quail.does any body else use that ?how good is it?
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:30:06 PM »

Use liquid Safeguard instead. I got a small, 4 oz. bottle at TSC which is enough to worm 500 pheasants several times. I had gapeworms also. Gave the Safeguard, and the next day, the birds were on their way to recovery. It is also very forgivibg, meaning you can't hardly give them too much that it would hurt them.

What exactly is liquid safeguard? Is it Ivermectin? Also, what was the mixture ratio you used?

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
onpoint

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 06:37:20 PM »

Safeguard is just the brand name that the drug is sold under. The drug  fenbendazole is what you are actually wanting to use. The dosage instructions are on the bottle. What you want to do is to give 2.3 ml (same as cc) per 100 lbs. of body weight. What I did was calculate I have 500 pheasants @ 3 lb. ea. which is 1500 lbs. total. At 2.3 cc per 100 lbs. equals 34.5 cc total of the drug I need to give. Remember, this drug is very safe so you can over estimate on your weight or whatever and won't hurt the birds if you give them too much. So, I took 5 5gallon water founts so I could spread them around the pen to make sure all of the birds had access to drink from them, and I put 7cc of safeguard in each 5 gallons of water (35cc total). I did this in the morning, and the night before I shut off and emptied their automatic water troughs so they had no choice but to drink the medicated water. I let them drink all of that batch, and gave them another batch and let them drink all of that which only took 2 days for 500 birds when it's warm. The problem cleared right up after that.

Chuck Rose
Sunset Acres Gamebirds & Dog Training Area
Centerburg, Ohio
740-625-7511
740-504-0033
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »