Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:01:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Pheasant with bloody nose
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant with bloody nose  (Read 3853 times)
Andrew S.

« on: July 21, 2005, 02:23:43 PM »

I hatched some Reeves pheasants with my quail 3 weeks ago and they are doing pretty well.  I've noticed from the beginning that one of the pheasants has dried up blood around its nose.  I don't think that it is from the quail or the other pheasants pecking it.  So far I figured that I shouldn't mess or try to pick the blood off until I found something out. 

Andrew S.

I don't know if this will make a difference or not, but I think that this particular pheasant is a mix between a Reeves pheasant and a Yellow Golden.  The person I got the eggs from had 3 Reeves hens, 1 Yellow Golden hen, and 1 Reeves male all together.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 02:28:45 PM by Andrew S. » Logged

Central PA
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 04:28:44 PM »

If your pheasants are 3 weeks old and flying around, it could be either the cage or pen they are in. If they are walking around inside a pen with wire, the pheasants will drag their beak along the wire and the blood is the final out come. Move the pheasant's into a larger area and incorporate a smoother fabric the height of the pheasants so they don't drag their beak along the enclosure.

Hope this helps!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CHARLIE

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 08:55:11 AM »

HI
IF THE QUAIL ARE BOBWHITES AND STILL IN THE SAME PEN OR BROODER WITH THE PHEASANTS THAT IS PART OF THE PROBLEM. I HATCH SEVERAL KINDS OF QUAIL AND A FEW CHUKARS AT THE SAME TIME AND BY 3 WEEKS OF AGE HAVE TO GET THE CHUKARS OUT OF THE BROODER AS THE BOBWHITES START PECKING ON THEM AND WILL PECK THE BEAKS OFF OF THEM ,SO I THINK THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM TOO.
                         CHARLIE
                          BACKYARD GAMEBIRD FARM
                          DELAWARE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
Andrew S.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 11:36:54 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's not the cage, because they are in a large wooden box that was used for shipping housing materials.  There isn't anything like wire for them to rub on.  I have screen over the top so they won't fly out.  I got to looking at it today, and I caught it  to get a closer look.  It appears that there is a chunk of its top beak missing right in front of its nostril.  When it first hatched it did not have this missing part, but I did notice something that looked like a crack.  I don't know, maybe I'm just crazy!  If I had a digital camera, I would take a picture, but I don't have one.  Could it have had a crack in its beak and the Bobwhites pecked it off?

Andrew S.

Central PA
CHARLIE

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 12:33:15 AM »

HI
I TOLD YOU THE PROBLEM AND PART OF THE BEAK MISSING PROVES IT.
                 CHARLIE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »