Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  starting my own business
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: starting my own business  (Read 14069 times)
kingwolf
Expert Member

« on: February 15, 2009, 04:14:07 PM »

i have been thinking lately about starting my own game bird farm here in southern colorado. The question that i want to ask is what do you think it would cost me to start a small operation without getting too big and obtaining a small income on the side since i am still in high school. Thanks for your time and comments...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:26:11 PM by kingwolf » Logged

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »

Three years of your life.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »

s020 does it really take that long?

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 07:21:12 PM »

How small you talking about? 10 or 12 birds or 1000 to 5000 birds?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 02:09:45 AM »

s020 does it really take that long?

Generally speaking, unless you have a pen, cages, brooders, and a half ton of feed just lying around, it will take that long to get out of the red.  I assume your parents will not squeeze the extra utility charges out of you.  That will give you a little edge.  Used building materials could help.  However, DO NOT put Quail in pens or houses that have been occupied by poultry.  That could cost you another year.

Which side of the hill are you?

birddog584

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »

Best advice that you can recieve is to start small, work your way in to it. You may not like it after you get it going. It will require work on your part. If you start small,  your problems that you encounter will be small. The most important thing is to keep your operation CLEAN!!!!! If you do that then most of your problems will be minor. j2
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »

i was thinking about starting out with about 100 to 200 Bobwhite, 100-200 Chukar, and maybe if i could afford it 50-100 Ring-neck Pheasants. i live in Monte Vista, Colorado in the San Luis Valley. i have plenty of netting so i could do large outdoor runs for them so there is no limit on that, otherwise i do not have the brooders, feed, and adequate buildings. so i think that awnsered everyones questions...thanks for your input

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:24:20 PM »

i live in Monte Vista, Colorado in the San Luis Valley.

I don't know how you can stand to live in such ugly surroundings !!!

I was fortunate enough to get to bow hunt in the last Spring Bear season in the Saguache and Bonanza areas.  I lived in Cimarron for a couple of years.

If you are careful with the design, you may be able to run growout/flight pens for each species from the brooder shed you build.  I know it's tempting, but I'd vote against trying to raise all three, the first season.  At least, spread them out through the year.

kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:53:38 PM »

ya its probably not the prettiest location in colorado, because of the mountains around us the only storms that ever even drop anything have to come out of the south so we don't get much precipitation making it dry here, but i have to say that you were probably in the worst part of the valley... thanks for your input though about helping me getting started with my operation

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »

Well, actually, I was kidding.  Bonanza was dry and barren, but, I hunted mostly in the mountans out of Saguache.  I guess it is dryer than some areas, but if you take a trip out to Lamar and back, it will seem down right tropical, where you are.

Have you found a supplier?  There is a Rick Nelson over in the Olathe area, and there was someone in Alamosa.

kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »

ya lamar is a little more greener than us but i actually live right by the river that goes through monte vista so it is pretty green here in the summer and no i haven't found anybody yet. Do you have any more info on these guys especially the guy in alamosa that would make a very easy trip for me...thanks

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »

Easy way to find others in this , is to check at feed stores. Put up posters on their bulletin boards as well.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »