Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  new at this
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new at this  (Read 4519 times)
birdinwithblue
« on: June 02, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »

i have borrowed a incubator from a guy . it all works i have set 150 quail eggs in on May 25th . and like most forced air incubators it has two small holes in the side for temp probes . i know the temp is 99.5 . is that in the upper hole over water pan or in lower hole by the door . if i move it to lower hole the temp. drops to 95.9 to 96 . but in the upper hole it stays 99.5 . it seems to me if the temp is 99.5 it sould be where the eggs are not by the water and heating element . if not please let me know .  :?
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 08:43:59 PM »

If you seriously want to know the egg internal temp, the best way is to get a 'water weasel' and stick the probe in the middle of the weasel and get a reading.  If you don't know what a water weasel is see here --> http://shilala.homestead.com/therm.html.

You can simulate one using a couple of small sandwich bags if you're real cheep like me  :P
birdinwithblue
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 09:56:59 PM »

so what your saying is my eggs are'nt 99.5 than . i have a temp. and humidity meter in the bottom and the temp. is 96.3 humidity is 58% . but the digital thermometer at the top is 99.5 . so i need to bring up the temp than . by the way i have my glad bags full of water  :lol:
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 10:06:34 PM »

If you have some glad bags put one on top of the other with the digital temperature probe in the middle so no air circulation can get to it.  If this is at egg level this will tell you what the internal temperature of the eggs are regardless of the temps around the other parts of the bator.
birdinwithblue
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 10:40:55 PM »

well i finaly got the water in the bags to 99.5-99.4 . it's hard to do with 153 eggs in there all ready . hope it wont change the hatch date to much. only have 10 days then move them to hatcher . thanks for your help Doggus . i dont think this is going to be a very good hatch but i'm getting 50 eggs every 3 days .so maybe on the next go around will be better . with all the help in this forum i'm sure it will be . thanks again :)
faro

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 01:22:30 AM »

Hi birdinwithblue,
  It seems by your post that you have a cabinet incubator (GQF). If this is true, and you are trying to set up the bator, you need to set the thermometer in the hole by the door to set the temp. After the temp is set (running for 24 hours) you then move the thermometer to the hole above the humidity tray, and set the wet bulb temp., using a wick, and adjusting the vent holes in back to get the right humidity reading. The thermometer is then placed back in the hole by the door.  The full instructions can be viewed at:

http://peafowlareus.com/Humidity.asp
http://peafowlareus.com/WetDry%20Bulb%20Conversion.asp

The baggies full of water should work just as well, as long as you are using the thermometer by the door. I run two GQF incubators, and both of mine have the thermometer in the hole by the door. I also run a digital hygrometer in each to monitor the humidity.

Good luck!  :wink:
birdinwithblue
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 11:17:08 PM »

thanks faro. i sent GQF a e-mail and thats what they said . i have it set and holding stedy . candled 5 eggs and they look ok . cross your fingers i may still get some . what a mess i'v been through . this bator has set for 10 years . so you can guess what its been like . but its not mine . i'm going to buy a new one this fall . dose any one use a dickys . they all look the same and i'm sure there all good .
birdinwithblue
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 06:06:03 AM »

well my eggs go in the hatcher today . wish me luck . i'll keep ya posted
birdinwithblue
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 12:17:51 AM »

well 55 out of 57 have hatched . i have 44 more to go in this Sunday . i got a GQF 1500 PROFESSIONAL and a 1550 hatcher to day . payed $600.00 for the pear . i think it was a good buy . there 2 years old.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »