Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Garmin Astro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Garmin Astro  (Read 6738 times)
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« on: August 21, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »

Has anyone used the Garmin Astro with their dogs?  I'm looking into purchasing one for myself and one for my dad, who does a lot of coon and coyote hunting with dogs.  I think these would be great to track past hunts and record where hot spots were and to be able to find the truck when you walk 5 miles!  I was wondering if anybody knows the difference between the DC 20 and the DC 30.  Thanks fo any info!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend  and I like it real well . I use mine when I go Deer and Hog hunting on the State Game Hunting Preserves most of them are thousands of acres and are walk in only.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »

Everything I've heard about them has been good, except:

They are not so great in bad weather, or with heavy canopy vegetation.

They do require a small harness, rather than just a collar.

No doubt, the technology will improve, and they may combine the satelite and radio telemetry together.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:12:22 PM »

It didn't take a whole lot to convince me....  Order is placed :?:

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:35:06 PM »

Well.....now that we know you're easy.......

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Carl Porter

Hunting Dog Trainer.net

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 01:39:13 PM »

Garmin has a new collar the DC 30. It fits much better and doesn't need a counter weight. I have used one and I find it to be one of the best trackers available. I have used Tracker, Wildlife Materials and Marshal and I think the Astro is better than all. It is still radio telemetry from receiver to collar but the receiver is GPS. Features like a compass to tell you what direction, how far, and moving or not is better than all. I use my Wildlife Materials for Field Trials and have had problems with hills and signals bouncing. So far, I haven't had that problem with the Garmin. Even if it loses your dog due to cover, topography, etc, it will let you know where the last point the receiver had your dog. I believe it will become the most sought after tracking collar on the market.
Carl Porter
Huntingdogtrainer.net

Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »

The problem with the DC 20 collar is mounting to the dog and the frailty of the antenna.  I tried counter balancing with shock collar with no luck.  Harness works OK on my Gordon but does not fit my labs (they typically stay close anyway, though).  Antenna snaps off when running in brush.

You can buy the DC 30 collar for $200 and get a $50 rebate if you already own the DC 20 until Oct 31.  Or, I found an aftermarket antenna on Ebay for $25.  This antenna allows the collar to be mounted under the dogs neck like the ol telemetry collars and the antenna is flexible and  bends up above the dog, just as the DC 30 does.  Better deal!  From what I've read, it can also increase range on the collar and obviously you don't have to worry about broken antennas as much.  I'm still waiting for mine in the mail.

Carl Porter

Hunting Dog Trainer.net

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »

Little Bear, Is the antenna made by Garmin and if so do you have a part number?

DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 01:37:50 PM »

DC 30
Some updates on function
When your dog gets over 600 yards away it starts reading in tenths of a mile.
For every mile i walk dogs run from 4 to 5 miles.
Using the Tri Tronics Classic G2 with beeper collar and DC 30
If they physically touch each other the beepeer will constantly turn off and on
driving you crazy
It did this with 3 different beepers
Just watch position on dogs neck.
Separation of any is OK , they have to be touching.
LarryLain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »