Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 05:21:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  A Good Goose Recipe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Good Goose Recipe  (Read 10471 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 02:12:18 PM »

Thanks for the good recipe. Haven't cooked anything up yet but will soon. Speaking of recipes has anyone ever had a pheasant and rice casserole? We made that last night and it was great. If anyone wants the recipe I'll put it up. I would put it up now but I don't have it here with me now.

If and when you get the chance, post it..

I know I will use it. I have two many birds as it is now.. s020 I either smoke mine, make into soups, or do it into a roasted bird or cut them up, fried, baked, BBQ, rolled breasts stuffed, oh the so many ways.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:15:05 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 02:16:40 PM »

Oh, I have also done the breast meat just like a Peppered Venison Steak.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »

\ i4 i cooked one in wine one time in a cooking bag @low temp 350..i forget how long but basically til tender 3-5 hrs depending on how big

350* is not considered a low temp. I think your time frame of 3-5 hrs is off.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

In fairness to ode, she did say she didn't remember (probably because only a portion of the wine went into the bag [cooking bag]).  Also, she probably cooked a farm goose, or store goose.  Kind of like using a pork recipe for Venison.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Missourihunter85

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »

2...Pheasants (quartered)
3/4C...butter-melted
1/3C....flour
1C...half & half milk
3T....Parsley
1/3C...Pimento
1/3C....Onions
1 box......long grain wild rice
1C....chicken broth (canned)
3T.....almonds

Cook pheasant in dutch oven for 2 hours at 300*F whenn cool, bone enough meat for 2 cups.  Saute onions in butter and blend in flour. salt and pepper to taste.gradually add milk and chicken broth. cook until thick, cook rice as directed and mix with pheasant, pimentos and almonds. pour thickened broth over mixture. bake in 2 quart asserole for 30 minutes at 250*
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 04:25:00 AM »

So far I think my recipe is the best
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 06:12:25 AM »

2...Pheasants (quartered)
3/4C...butter-melted
1/3C....flour
1C...half & half milk
3T....Parsley
1/3C...Pimento
1/3C....Onions
1 box......long grain wild rice
1C....chicken broth (canned)
3T.....almonds

Cook pheasant in dutch oven for 2 hours at 300*F whenn cool, bone enough meat for 2 cups.  Saute onions in butter and blend in flour. salt and pepper to taste.gradually add milk and chicken broth. cook until thick, cook rice as directed and mix with pheasant, pimentos and almonds. pour thickened broth over mixture. bake in 2 quart asserole for 30 minutes at 250*

Thanks for posting Missourihunter, but there is one thing that doesn't quite sound convincing or at least obtainable in my area stores for the last part of the cooking sequence.. s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 08:57:19 AM »

You can also try the Goose Breasts with Shake and Bake, I prefer the BBQ.
Just make sure you cut the breasts into bite size pieces, and reduce the cooking time and temp.

Before I quite drinking (so much), #5 used to refer to me, as that after 2 qts,she can't spell though.
 s020

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:28:36 AM »

I do geese, especially Canadians as I do turkey, especially wild ones:

Clean and stuff however you want to, rub the brest with salt and pepper.

Take a paper bag big enough to hold the bird and cover the inside with corn oil, about half a cup will do a big bag, coat the whole inside, then drain any extra off that doesnt soak in. The idea is to 'moisture proof' the bag.

Slide the bird in the bag, close the top and tuck it in around the bird so it doesnt come open. Place in a roast pan,

Put in oven around 375 degrees. Check in a couple hours. Cooking in the bag is faster then in just a roaster, keeps the meat moist. If the bird doesnt have much fat and looks dry stick an orange or tomato in the bag. 

It'll be very moist and tender. Its easy to overcook and make the meat fall off the bones. DONT scald yourself when you open the bag! There'll be steam . Enjoy.

Works on ducks too. If theres much fat put it on something to raise it up out of the grease.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
ode2god
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 11:45:28 AM »

Quote from: Pheasant Hollow Farm
[/quote

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
i have cooked whole 25 lb turkeys at 450 with no problems the cookin bags help alot you just have to experiment
\ i4 i cooked one in wine one time in a cooking bag @low temp 350..i forget how long but basically til tender 3-5 hrs depending on how big

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

In fairness to ode, she did say she didn't remember (probably because only a portion of the wine went into the bag [cooking bag]).  Also, she probably cooked a farm goose, or store goose.  Kind of like using a pork recipe for Venison.
  its almost always farm or store raised here unfortunately most of our game is smallish and the hunters in our family go up north but they dont share much...oh and wilder i only drink tea  in excess so i guess i cant use that as an excuse  thanks though j1
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:47:48 AM by ode2god » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »