Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Head female
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Head female  (Read 2760 times)
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« on: June 25, 2009, 04:05:30 PM »

I went down to feed my quail today and found one of my females dead. She did not look like any thing was wrong with her, I am thinking maybe it was the heat. It was around 90*f all day yesterday and they were panting a good bit. It's a shame b/c she was one of my nicest looking females and my biggest. I also found a female with the tip of her beak broke off, should I take her out? Nothing else is wrong with her and she seems to be eating good still and nobody is picking on her. Then one of my males has a busted beak, his is still completely there but the end is cracked almost off, I am going to take him out as soon as I find a cage to put him in b/c I think one of my other males done it. I am hoping he can still eat, I think it just happend today. I may just find him a home b/c they have been fighting allot lately and maybe with only two males the fighting will not be so bad, the other two never hurt each other but this poor guy always hides and I seen they plucked a few of his feathers out.  t1
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

i don't think the problem is that they are picking on eachother it sounds like to me that they were spooked by something and they flew into the wire and that explains the wide variety of injuries. i don't think that fighting males would get rough enough to break their beaks off and Ive had a bobwhite get spooked and fly into the wire and kill itself  ty2

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »

I'm with kingwolf on the injuries.....sounds as though something is harassing them.  It may just be a coincidence, but, they (males) may be picking on that one male too.  If he's hiding out, somebody is picking on him.

Have you got the title of this topic misspelled?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:16:47 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »

Yea I meant to put dead not head,LOL! s020 I was just wondering that same thing about them flying into the cage b/c I have seen the males go after him and him fly up into the top of the cage. I think it would just be best if I got rid of him then I would not have to worry about it. The female that died though was inside  the closed in section of the cage and the way she was laying I don't think it was from hitting the cage. I have not had any other problems so I am not to worried about the rest, I am just going to make shore to wet there sand more when it gets hot so that they do not over heat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »