Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  hunting poll
« previous next »
Poll
Question: how many of you will hunt pen raised birds?  (Voting closed: May 10, 2004, 07:58:16 PM)
yes - 34 (79.1%)
no - 9 (20.9%)
Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hunting poll  (Read 13890 times)
duck nutt
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

actuallly, I'd invite the 'good neighbor' over for dinner....act like nothing ever happened, and just as she started eating , ask her if she enjoys the meat...then i'd inform her it was some of the quail she saw a few days ago in my pens!  heheeh.....     then i'd kick her arse out!
Jessykah
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2004, 11:22:19 AM »

Hey, what the hell are you so pissed off at me about?! I'm not the humane society! In fact, I'd like to get rid of 'em too! In my last post, I only meant that shooting them is a waste of meat, is it not? There are other ways to kill domestic birds, like choppin' their heads off like we do.....I don't care about killing animals, I raise them for meat too. But why shoot them?
I don't raise quail yet, I'm here to learn how to raise them, like nesting and such.....So if anything I say, like about shooting them, is wrong, please inform me.
Please don't b*tch at me because of what happened to you....you totally misunderstood what I said.
And how can they not allow you to kill your birds? They can't do anything about it unless you're treating them wrong in HOW you raise them. You're farming them, you're allowed to kill and eat 'em, just like anyone else. Was your neighbour telling them things that weren't true, like if you weren't feeding them right or something like that?
I've had the humane society called on me too, and they almost took my animals based on what one of the neighbours said that wasn't true....I don't know which neighbour.....so I know full well what it's like.
Jessykah
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2004, 11:26:45 AM »

duck nut, that's a good idea....sounds like something I'd do too! LOL  :wink:
theweave

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2004, 11:00:34 AM »

Fourche hang in there.  If you bought them and raised them and have all your paperwork in order, you are allowed to hunt them or whatever you want to do with them.
Let the animal rights people play with their dogs and cats, etc. and leave well enough alone.
twincyn
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2004, 09:07:06 PM »

Couple of Points.

The Sheriffs Department dosn't need a Search Warrant to come onto your property and speak with you regarding a complainant.  Now if your not home, they cannot look go into your buildings and look around.

The HS can give you all the lip service they want.  Them telling you what you can and cannot do with your birds is nothing but lip service.  First they would have to take you to court and then prove something or another and then get a judgement.  Kinda hard to do with farm raised animals, birds, ect.

Last point.

Killing the birds is just that.  If you cut off their heads, wring thier necks, shoot them they are dead.  every one has an opion, but with each opion, there must be some reason behind it.  The only thing I can think of is anti gun or the poor little birdy might suffer a bit.

If its the suffering your thinking about, think about the little birds that starve every day, or the ones that get ripped apart alive  by fox, hawks, owls. ect....

<<<<now where did that spell check key go>>>>>>>>>>
uplandmom
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 05:46:37 PM »

We do not have many birds to hunt in our area. We started raising birds because my son HAD TO HAVE a GSP. We regularly release quail and the dog points em, he shoots, dog retrieves and mom cleans and cooks. (and mom spends endless hours watching chicks hatch and believe me, I do get attatched to them)
Fourche River Quail
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 08:10:07 PM »

Hey, uplandmom, I really admire you, my mom did the same thang, we brought birds home, cleaned them, but they wernt always cleaned the way she liked them to be, so she would take them and do the rest then cook them, damn they were good, then when the wild birds were gone,, we had to go and buy birds to hunt,,,,,,,,,,,You know,,, they wernt as much fun ,,,,,,but they shore tasted good!!!!   THANKS TO ALL YOU MOMS!!!!!!!!
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2004, 07:37:50 AM »

Man oh man what a topic...Tree huggers? They have no idea what we are doing. We are the best stewards of the land that they could ever think of being. I think they should go after the folks who let their dogs run and cats run or those who let them bark all night or chase deer through the woods because they can't stand to put a chain on them or better yet take real responsibility and make them a kennel where they can safely spend their nights without bugging other peoples critters. We take so much time, raising, building, fretting, feeding, medicating and praying for our hatches and our birds much more time than anyone  could imagine. How dare your nieghbors turn you in. You have every right to be mad I am mad and it is not me this is happening to. How can they say that they are not your birds. Possession is 90 percent of the law and how can they proove that they are not.

I also agree with everyone else if you don't raise birds then you don't belong here. I can shoot a deer at 100 yards with a 20 guage but...I am not too good at hunting birds yet. We go dove hunting every year and I always get out shot but I am learning and the sport is not only fun but it is exercise, and time spent with family and friends. Nothing like sitting around a fire after the day is done reliving our hunting moments good and bad.

Hell yes I will hunt my birds on my land, I will also train my dog (well when we get one) and sell birds for meat. And I dare anyone to tell me I can not!

My two cents worth. Lori Pike :lol:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
CoopVilla
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 11:56:32 AM »

A yes here but personally I wouldn't want to hunt spoiled, lazy or tame birds. It just doesnt set right in my mind when a bird comes running up to say hi, flys a few feet away and sets its butt down in plain sight or follows you through the hunt. As we know, with some forethought and planning on raising and release, the hunt can be "almost" genuine. Wild birds are wild birds...
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2004, 09:36:11 AM »

Hummmm...never had one of my birds run up and say hi to me...in fact they stay as far away from me and my husband as possible. I don't think  you can tame a bob white, although I am trying to at least get them used to me whistling at them so they don't bang themselves to death on the cage each time I go to change their water or feed them. We are getting ready to release 20 in the next couple of weeks and I will let you know just how "domesticated" they have become. We have a large brush pile behind the damn of the pond we are going to release them in. There are several quail already there because the wild ones come and eat the food ours spill from their cages. Anyway....If they come home and hang out here then we will have to rethink our raising technique and probably have to kill Frank the cat. That is the worst thing I can think of happening to them, not getting shot by a hunter but becoming a meal for someone elses "pet". :evil:  That would chap my hide.

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2004, 09:50:24 AM »

Not sure what state some of you are in but here in Ohio the only legal way to shoot your own birds on your property is to have a "Designated Dog Training Field" liscensed through the DNR. Once you release your Quail they are now "wild birds" as far as the state is concerned, unless banded and recorded for harvest in such a field. In my county it is illegal to hunt quail as there are only 11 counties in the state with an open season. If it is legal to hunt quail where you live and you release, then shoot your birds during season, you may be safe from legal hassles. Not sure how non native birds would be viewed by the state. Since Bobwhite are native birds they want to ensure the wild populations aren't getting poached. Don't give anybody a chance to shut you down with legalities, keep your paperwork in order and there isn't a DAMN thing they can do about it :!:

P.S. If you question whether shooting pen raised birds is sporting, get together with someone who is planning a preserve hunt and get permission to walk along with them and observe the hunt. Don't spout off about something you have absolutely no first hand knowledge of. I myself refused to hunt pen raised birds until last season. The lack of wild birds in my area forced me to utilize local game preserves in order to get my dog in shape. I was very surprised at the challenge those birds presented both myself and my dog. No they weren't wild birds but they certainly did not walk up to me and say "hello, my names bob please put a 7/8 oz load of bird shot in me"! I have hunted pen raised birds three times, and three times my hunting companions and I have left birds in the field unharmed...and not for lack of trying! 8)

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »