Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:55:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  plywood incubator.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: plywood incubator.  (Read 25148 times)
CaliPheasantGuy

Personal Text

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 02:24:22 PM »

well i made it using the little giant heating element and fan. it works great as far as regulating temperature. i ran it for about a day yesterday and it leveled off about 8 hours after i plugged it in at 100*F and stayed there. so the element is enough. it may look a little rough but it works. it's because i'm 14 and it's my first time doing anything like this without my dad.  :grin:
Power strip has a surge protector.
1/2 inch plywood. it will be in my room so the temperature won't be fluctuating a lot.
Plexiglass door. not sure on thickness. with 1/4 foam weather stripping.
used wood glue to seal the edges.

if you would like pictures send me a pm with your e mail. it wont let me post pictures on here.. it freezes up when i go to post it the reply.
TENNESSERED

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 02:27:27 PM »

That's great!  I'm glad it is holding temps using the 40 watt element.  I was just down to the farm coop and picked up a little giant egg turner which they had on sale so in a couple of weeks I'll get busy and build my own.  Good job pheasantguy!

James
CaliPheasantGuy

Personal Text

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »

Thank you sir. it is just enough. I'm going to order some bobwhite eggs today so i'll let you know if it works in about a month.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

s98

But.....did you put holes in it for fresh air intake/circulation?  They are a must and should be strategically placed.  If not, that will change the dynamics of it considerably as to how well it holds its temp and as to whether or not it can achieve and hold a constant +/- 100* temperature.

Did you try holding elevated humidity levels?

If you can get it to maintain humidity and temperature levels, I'd suggest making some sort of external water filling capabilities in order to keep you from opening door.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:08:45 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »

s98 PheasantGuy and  agd2 Nice Catch Charlie

When I built my homemade inc, the hardest part was regulating the humidity.  I ended up buying the GQF 1502.  Good Luck Guy!

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
CaliPheasantGuy

Personal Text

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12:43 PM »

i did add ventilation holes. and havent tried holding humidity yet. thanks for the tip. i used instructions for building it and i put all the air holes in the exact spot that the instructions stated at the correct size. the guy how made the instructions claims to have gotten some 95%+ hatching rates.
CaliPheasantGuy

Personal Text

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »

i just got 20 northern jumbo BW's today. so ill be puttin them in the bator tomorrow probably. ohh and i came up with a solution for the not opening up the bator to fill the humidity pan. i have a little pump mister with a long hose. i just drilled a hole put the hose thru it and that is that.
Harvestalaska

Personal Text

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »

The problem is trying to find a small enough wattage heat element.  That's one of the reasons I sold my Dickeys inclubator because it had a 600 watt element and used a  lot of electricity.  I would like to find about a 75 watt element.  If anyone knows where I can get one I would love the info thanks

I would use 110v  oil pan heater, we glue them on here in Alaska to heat up our motor oil before starting the car :) I would even cast it into some kind of synthetic cement to give it more mass to radiate heat evenly, so it will look like Reptile heat rock.

http://www.padheaters.com/

Just google "Hot Pad Heater"  >>>>>>>>  http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=+Hot+Pad+Heater&aq=f&aqi=&oq=&fp=94f5bc3d92523f1a

I believe here at NAPA stores 75w pads are sold for about 15-20 dollars.
middyman717

Personal Text

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 01:07:53 AM »

Hi you can use a G.Q.F 250 watt heating element and put a half bridge rectifier between the wafer and heating element and it will be about 100 watts !
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »