Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 02:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  German Shorthair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: German Shorthair  (Read 6377 times)
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« on: July 29, 2004, 09:45:00 AM »

We are looking for a breeder in southern central Illinois who does not have a puppy mill but who has quailty German Shorthair Pointers. I did search on Google but would like to know if anyone on this site could lead me to a quality breeder. Usually word o mouth is better than any advertisement and maybe some advice on what to look for in a quality pup.

Thanks in advance. Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
DTVM
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2004, 11:00:43 AM »

Don't know if this helps, but you can find a list of kennels at the gundogsonline link below.

I know its not word of mouth but it will help find kennels in the area you requested. Go to the home page look under kennnels then select your state and breed.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/DirectoryMgr.asp

Once you've found the breeders in your area look at their web site in depth you can learn allot. Below ( ) is a link to a Breeding Kennel in Idaho. The site gives a good example of what the breeder thinks and how they do business. I don't know these folks but by researching these type sites you can learn what questions to ask the breeder in your area.

(http://www.drahthaars.net/types.htm)

Not all breeders have a web site? I don't know if I would buy a car from a company that doesn't have a website to get support after you purchase their product?

Check this breeders site for  GSP info:

(http://coveyrun.net/pages/online_resources/online_resources_index.html)

Word of mouth is great as long as you ask the correct questions. Contact your local (http://www.navhda.org/) Chapter (contact information below) and attend one of their Natural Ability test you'll find lots of new and old time owners that will be willing to help you.

NAVHDA Contact:

Joe Nagle
1894 22nd Ave Moline IL 61265
Phone 309-797-6695

Usually if the breeder has a waiting list for a common breed such as the GSP that may be a good sign if priced correctly. An honest reputable breeder is one of your best resources for picking the "quaility" puppy.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 08:48:36 AM »

Wow :shock: Ask and ye shall recieve.

Thanks for all that information I will go, do and see.

:lol:

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
ChogiJoe
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 10:34:17 PM »

I hope it isn't to late, but I know of a wonderful breeder in Indiana.  Rock Point Kennels in Carbon, Indiana has GSP, English Pointers, and English Setters.  I have 2 GSPs myself and I workes at a Vet Clinic when I met the owner of this kennel.  I have become very good friends with them and have started competing in NSTRA.  They host a competition on their property twice yearly.  This year the Fall trial is on September 25 & 26.  If you are interested in seeing how a kennel operates that is run by people who are in this for the love of the dog above the love of the sport you should definatly come see this place.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 08:07:20 AM »

You are not to late. We are looking hard and doing quite a bit of research. Thanks for the name I will tell the old man.

Maybe a road trip after all! :D

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 07:59:04 AM »

We found a GSP club in Chicago and I sent them a ton of emails and even called not one response from them.

We really were looking for someone local but that is not going to happen I guess.

We will keep looking  :?

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 07:46:33 AM »

Well we did find someone so local he lives about 15 miles from us and has great bloodline dogs. Waiting to see how the first litter of pups turns out before he breeds the @$$$@ again, but we are very excited. Have seen the @$$$@ and sire and they are GREAT looking dogs and both of the great grandparents are from Germany. Anyway...I am keeping my fingers crossed that the puppies from her first litter train well and prove themselves in the field.

Lori

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »