Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:14:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Generally Asked Questions
| | |-+  First Time
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Time  (Read 4584 times)
ISLANDER

Personal Text

« on: February 14, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »

Hi Everybody
I have 49 Bobwhite Quail eggs in a Hova Incubator for the last 10 days. I also have an egg turner. My question is on the 20th day when I stop turning the eggs should I take the egg turner out?
I would also like to know what a good percentage of a hatch is. I know there are alot of factors involved, but what do most people expect. I bought the eggs on EBay and I was surprised at how well they were packed. None broke. I put them in the Incubator and have been monitoring the Temp and Humidity.
Thanks for the input
MARK P. AKA The Islander
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 11:55:10 AM »

Islander, First off leave the eggs in the turner 21 day. When you first put the eggs in the turner count the 1st day the day after you put them in. Second on the 21st day take the turner and the eggs out then take the eggs out of the turner and lay on the wire in the incubator add more water to the tray in the bottom filling 2 channels like it says in the instructions. 3-4 days after this they should start hatching after the first 1 hatches wait about 24 hours before you take any out of the incubator and put in the brooder. Out of your 49 eggs 30 would be good 40 would be great. Thank ya Jim
skyles creek

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:46:45 PM »

Using a hovabator and shipped eggs, I usually expect about 50% to hatch. I expect 80 to 90% to hatch if the eggs come from my birds and do not have the stress of shipping. Good Luck, Brian
ISLANDER

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 10:33:26 AM »

hl1 Thanks guys. I am looking forward to seeing any of them hatch 30 out of 49 would be great all things considered. It's amazing what you can get on the internet. Almost scary. If all goes well this is something my son and I will cont to do. Thanks for your prompt responses. Estimated hatch date is now March 1st.  I'll keep you informed.
Thanks again.
Mark P. The "Islander"
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »

Islander, Make sure you let us know how it turns out.  ty2 Jim
gamebirdman

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 03:19:17 AM »

I use a hovabator and generally get 80% - 90% with my own eggs but with posted eggs its usually around 50% like Brian said.......good luck mate  tu2
ISLANDER

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »

Well the hatch rate was not great, but we have 17 quail running around. More then enough for the first time. They started to hatch on the eve of the 23rd day. Kids were super excited. Just waiting for the weather to warm up to move them outside. Thanks again for all the great advice..

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 12:00:53 PM »

Just waiting for the weather to warm up to move them outside.

Brooder temp should start at 100 degrees (under the light) and drop 5 degrees a week, till you match ambient temps.
Or feathered out.
wpalmisano

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:14 AM »

Yes, you should take the egg turner out. If your chicks wander into it, they will be crushed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »