Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Question about the hatching process...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about the hatching process...  (Read 3508 times)
GigaShock
« on: May 18, 2004, 05:37:46 PM »

I bought a chick-bator kit from GQF Manufacturing along with four coutrnix eggs. Today is day 18 of their incubation. My eggs defied the odds, despite massive temperature fluctuations as we moved from fall into summer and little to no moisture (my fault) all four eggs began hatching on the 16th. Small cracks formed ONLY where there were black splotches on the egg.

Then it stopped for a day, and started up again yesterday when I spilled some water accidentally on one egg when refilling the bottom. The chick began to create a line around the egg, but stopped an hour or two later. I came here. I was told that it was a lack of moisture. I've used a spray bottle to indirectly wet the eggs and incubator.

Since then, activity has started again. It looks like three are getting ready to hatch, with new cracks. Most gratefully, the eggs are chirping. Which was a godsend, because I thought I had killed them. I'm picking up a humidity gauge right now.

What are your experinces with hatches like this? Will the chicks come out okay? Can they die from exhaustion inside the egg? What would you do?

SOMEONE REASSURE ME.  :D
GigaShock
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »

*Message Written Today (day 18.)

I've read average hatching day is 16-18 for courtnix and hatching is supposed to only take 10 to 20 hours.
chizekfarm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:53:07 PM »

i also heard that you are suppost to use warm water in the water bottle before you spray the eggs.  good luck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »