Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:29:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Where's my hatch?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where's my hatch?  (Read 8160 times)
birdguychris
« on: May 07, 2004, 06:05:42 PM »

I have about 50 ringneck eggs in the hatcher now. On the day the were supposed to hatch, one hatched out. That is all I have. It is now two days after the hatch date, and all the eggs are still in there. They are all firtle, with fully developed chicks inside. I cracked one open to see and there was a chick, and it was moving a little bit, but not really ALIVE. Well, I don't know what the problem is, can anyone help!
shagomatic
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 09:55:13 PM »

Are you using an automatic turner?  Is there plenty of air flow through incubator?  Oxygen supply is a big factor in the last stages.  Also, I am assuming that you didn't get the date wrong?!
birdguychris
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »

Well, for the incubation period, I used a circulated air fan incubator with an automatic egg turner, then transfered the fifty eggs to an old still air for the hatch. It has a few little holes in it. The hatch date is correct. On that day, one hatched out just fine and so far is the only one I have.
shagomatic
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 06:36:08 AM »

I recommend getting a forced air for a hatcher.  There is no air flow in a still air and hatching is when they consume the most oxygen.  I think this may very well be the problem.  Make certain that the turner is operating properly also for the next hatch.
duck nutt
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 06:41:39 PM »

if it was moving a litle, i'd consider it alive!....it's a few days after your original post..did you keep them in the incubator?   let us know how it went.
britguy33
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 05:37:45 AM »

try taping up the holes. you may be loosing humidity. it needs to be 85% at hatch so the chick does not dry out.
shagomatic
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 06:48:48 AM »

I recommend never taping up holes, especially in a still air.  You can increase your water surface area but do not restrict air flow.  The only time I would remotely consider covering holes would be if my incubator was having trouble keeping the temp up.
batorchallenged
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »

:idea: I'll bet that's the problem I've been having. I don't have a fan in my hatcher. I have one in the bator, but I have the same  problem. I'll either add a fan to my hatcher or buy one already set up. A person can learn a lot just by reading these forums. Thankx!!
shagomatic
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 09:41:41 PM »

You are welcome!  I know, I have had questions answered here myself.
candm
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 11:40:56 PM »

whats up guys and gals???if im not misstacken rignecks take 23 to 28 days to hatch so dont give up yet.hope this helps.
birdguychris
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 12:20:27 AM »

For the incubation period, I had the eggs in a forced air w/ egg turner foam inucbator. Well, I cracked open another egg to see a goey mess, which looked like a bacterial infection! Opened another and saw the same. So that may be the problem. I realized I forgot to clean the eggs before I inubated them. The one thing is that I have never had this problem. Anyways, the chick isn't alone, a while back, I stuck two pheasant eggs in my pigeons nest, and they hatched them out! I took them since it would be impossible for the pigeons to raise them, so I do have three now. Anyways, as for humidity, I have a sponge and the rings full. And as for oxygen, how about this... I found an old aquarium pump. It is little, but it does pump some air. So, I plugged it in, and put the hose through one of the holes in the incubator. Would this work?  Thanks.
shagomatic
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 06:35:42 AM »

I don't see why not.  As long as it improves the overall flow.  I don't recommend washing eggs prior to incubation.  I know some people swear by it, but I don't..  I make sure that I thoroughly disinfect every square inch of my incubator before I start each batch.  There is a natural anti-bacterial coating on the outside of the egg that is washed off in the process.  I just try to start with the cleanest eggs I can and go from there.
joip
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 07:26:07 AM »

Totally agree with shagomatic on don't wash your eggs before incubation and keeping your incubator clean

Joip
Quail Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 10:33:17 PM »

What would you most recomend to disinfect with. for the serious hatchery wannabee? :lol:
is there something better than household disinfectant sprays or bleach?
thanks
shagomatic
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 06:41:23 AM »

I use a commercial grade sanitizer/disinfectant.  There are many to choose from, but bleach will work also.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »