Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  my flight pen project(w/pictures) =)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my flight pen project(w/pictures) =)  (Read 15426 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »

Do you have any predators of the furry kind around your parts? If so...the netting may not be enough protection. You may need to go 1/2" hardwire all around.

:roll:   Is that netting or wire on the outside of that pen?

I hate to tell you, but if it is netting, it won't be long until your minus 4 more birds.  :eek:  The coons will still kill them and eat them right through 1" wire and drop the carcass back in the pen. They'll do it right in the middle of the wire on the top, how they pull that one off........I don't know. And that's just what the coons will do on wire. All kinds of other critters, let alone the coons and dogs will walk right throught netting like it isn't even there.

Plus, what is up with the owl?   You'll give them birds some kind of mental disorder!  :grin:  They'll think that owls are their mother and try to fly up to them for worms. :eek:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 08:34:37 AM »

its only 1/2 in netting.. i have never seen a coon on the side of the road  let alone in my yard. but I'm i bet there around. i trap in my part of the woods, and have not got a coon. i have trapped fox, and coyotes. its also 2ft of the ground, and i plan on puting 2ft trim along the bottom. as for the owl... why not. a owl is a predator of predates. hawks and owls.. not the best of friends.,=)

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 01:03:30 PM »

A solar powered electric fence charger may be your best insurance at this point??  Any kind of "trim" along the bottom won't have any effect on critters. I went about 4 years with no problems at all, then the coons have gotten me twice so far this year. I have steel "trim" (as you call it), 2 1/2 feet high around the entire pen, in which doesn't protect the sides and the top where the coons will get them.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »

i cant see coons get my birds, from under... its only 1/4 in wire on the bottom.. and how will they get them if i have the sides closed off??

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 10:30:44 PM »

I'll see if the feathers are still in the top of my pen, right out in the middle of the wire where a coon munched one of birds right through the wire and then dropped it's carcass back in the pen. They'll get them on the sides too. It's as if the coons say, "here stupid birdy, birdy! Fly up to me stupid birdy", and they do! :x  It amazes me how they do it. The birds instinctively know what the coon is, even after dark, just by the sounds it makes........then they flip out and fly everywhere and the coon will have his paws stuck through the wire and amazingly grab one and that's the end of the road fer dat bird.  They have been killing about 4 per feeding.     How many did you say that you had?  :wink:

Like I said, you may get by for years as I did, then one full moon lit night.....BAMM!!    Although, my point is......had I used netting, I would have had alot more problems with other animals all along, not just the coons.

chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 11:00:45 PM »

well i have 4.. and its a full moontonight.. lol but like i sade i have been trapping for about 6 years with grand dad and never got a coon by my house..   
we will see.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 10:37:46 PM »

we will see.

That, we will.

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 04:09:38 AM »

Hawks and falcons are known to snatch quails right through the nettings. So unless you have a 24/7 guard...then in the long run I can only predict disaster.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »

Its a very nice pen, and not overstocked, you can do well with it,

but I agree on the predators,  owls, coyotes and foxes, as well as coons,

the portable fence charger is your best insurance against them, a couple wires on top and one bottom of the sides will most likely keep you out of trouble, if you put long roosts across the pen then you'll need some kind of guards where the roosts come to the sides.

besides those predators I have to guard against both Bald Eagles  and Black Bears, a hot wire can protect agains them too.

Better safe, then sorry.

Enjoy, and good luck,

Jake
Curran, MI

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »