Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 02:28:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  People who ship eggs...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: People who ship eggs...  (Read 6616 times)
PAcortunix

« on: July 31, 2008, 02:05:22 PM »

What is your prefered shipping method....

Flat Rate

or

Standard Priority

I ship Flat Rate right now but I feel the price is pretty ridiculous...and they really limit you when it comes to the size of boxes.....But for Standard priority I would have to be able to weigh them at home right?
Thanks!
 :?:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »

I haven't shipped eggs, but have shipped hundreds of other items. Depending on weight i use flat rate, priority, or UPS.
There are now three size boxes for flat rate. Largest one looks like it would hold a hundred eggs safely.
To ship priority from home you do need to weigh the filled box (fragile items must be taken to the post office to ship) but you can get an idea what it cost before going. If you claim not fragile and ship from home any ins. paid won't cover breakage.
A cheap postal scale, kitchen scale or baby scale (I have all three kinds- got the baby scale for $2 at an auction- use it to weigh my meat when I butcher) will work. Online it asks for box dimensions, weight in lbs and ounces.
Disadvantage to having to take it to the post office is that online the delivery confirmation is free, at PO it costs .60. Ins. is same both ways.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
Pretty_Bird

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:34 PM »

I have purchased several eggs and had them mailed to me using Flat Rate and all the ones that were packed in the small quail egg cartons that hold 10 eggs each have had the least amount of broken eggs upon arrival.
have had as little as 6 broken out of 300 using plastic cartons, 5 out of 150,
0 out of 120
  All the ones that have used the foam padding have had many broken eggs.
14 out of 144, 13 out of 144, 19 out of 125and finally 31 out of 104.
The reason for so many being broken is simple. People insert all t he eggs from one direction. This places all the largest parts of the eggs closest together. Which is too tight and eggs are broken due to pressure from surrounding eggs as they fill the foam up to capacity.
  If time is taken and the eggs are loaded into the foam skiping every other hole and them turning the foam over and filling the open sections from there amazingly there are very few to NO casualties during transport of the eggs.

Just today I received eggs shipped in foam and out of 104 eggs sent 31 were broken.
I contacted the seller by email and haven't gotten a response as of yet but I certainly hope he is willing to compensate for the broken ones especially since the price was rather high and the shipping and packing charges were likewise.
I took photos and sent to him so he could see the broken eggs.

Has any body else noticed the differences in number of broken eggs between eggs shipped in plastic verses foam?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:38:27 PM »

I shipped several thousand eggs this past year and I use the foam. I did not have any complaints. It also depends on the destination whether to use Flat Rate or Regular Priority. You can buy a very accurate digital scale at WalMart in the kitchen section for about 25.00. USPS will give you free shipping boxes if you go on line and order them. All the eggs that I shipped were Quail.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »

I've only recieved them in foam and those cardboard egg carton thingy's (50 each) . I have never gotten any in plastic.  :-|   

I have never had a broken egg in any of my shipped eggs, so I'm no help other than vouching for my experience with the foam and cardboad. Although my prefference is the foam, other than getting them out.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

CH I am sure that you know this but just in case you do not, push them out by pushing on the small end..I hate pushing them out also especially when there is several hundred of them...

mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:53:25 PM »

I've gotten eggs in plastic cartons with paper shredded - bad idea. lots of broken. IO've had them come in plastic with saran wrap as a double wrap. some broken.
The best I've ever had came in the foam shippers. 120 shipped two broken. Go with the foam.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »

Slider hit that one, square.  Pushing the small end, is much better.  I have received eggs in foam, average breakage has been less than 1 percent, much less.

I understand the principle of putting them in alternated from each side, but you'd be pushing them past each other, and half would be shipped upside down.

Shipping in paper trays, with the foam sheets on top of each layer would be my second choice.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »