Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 04:03:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Candling
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Candling  (Read 5372 times)
JasonTX

« on: June 25, 2008, 09:20:40 AM »

I just took my eggs out of the turner and am (hopefully) 2 days away from having baby quail.  Being that this is my very first attempt so it a "learn as I go" process.  I put a light on the eggs to candle them and this is what they looked like.  I'm not sure if this is good enough for anyone to determine my chances of having a hatch but just thought I would check.  I didn't see anything moving.  Thanks.   

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:23:06 AM by JasonTX » Logged
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 09:39:42 AM »

You may be in trouble..the air sac looks pretty small to me...what was your humidity durning the incubation period? Good Luck...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

Air sac does look small. :-|

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
JasonTX

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »

You may be in trouble..the air sac looks pretty small to me...what was your humidity durning the incubation period? Good Luck...

Being a beginner I just followed the instructions that came with the Hova Bator by filling the water trays and keeping the temperature according to the instructions.  I didn't use anything to check the humidity. 
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 10:05:13 PM »

You really do need to get you something to read it with..Those styro boxes are like a trap for everything including humidity..Did you take some of the red plugs out and do not fill up all the water canals unless you live in the desert...less water is better than to much..you will get better the more that you hatch...also get a copy of a little book called Better Hatches it is something like that but its close...you will learn alot from it...good luck..I hope that you get some out of this one..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
bswy75

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:49:55 AM »

Check out your local Wal-mart. They have Acurite Digital Thermometer/ Hygrometer for less that 8 bucks. That will give you an idea of where your humidity is at. I am new at this too, and those have definately helped me out as well as all the guys and gals on here.
JasonTX

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 09:25:12 PM »

All is not lost.  I have 1 baby quail and it appears he has woken the rest as nearly all of them are starting to pick their way out.  Last night I noticed they started getting the "pimple" that I read about on here. 
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »

I am glad for you, but if that pic is correct I do not see how.....

JasonTX

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 11:34:07 PM »

It must not have been a very good depiction on my part.  There are now 20 birds with several more pecking their way into the world.  I originally started with 42 eggs and 7 were removed when candled.  These little boogers don't take long to get up on their feet.  Needless to say I was very happy when they started hatching because I sure was prepared for scrapping the whole mess.  In all honesty I looked at other pictures on the net at candling and mine were not like the ones I seen.  Mine looked like they were beyond hope but evidently not.  It goes to show I must not have known what I was looking at.  Thanks for all the advice and I'll be sure to keep posting updates.
greyghost
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:24:53 PM »

Good for you Jason, what you are seeing is called "pipping" I use Hova's and they work well. Also is your depiction of the egg with the small end up? That would explain the small air sack. With the large end up the air sack would LOOK larger. You are not incubating large end up? Right?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:06:44 AM »

You are not incubating large end up? Right?

???
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »

The air sac does not change ends just because you turn the egg upside down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And I doubt that that pic is of a real egg...

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »