Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Off topic, this does not pertain to birds.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Off topic, this does not pertain to birds.  (Read 23643 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: October 15, 2007, 02:57:02 PM »

I just want to get the opinion of the members here if they would like to help me diagnose the cause of death of a deer that was last seen on Friday, October 12, 2007 at 5pm, in what looked like to be in perfect health, to the best to my knowledge.

This is something different and I really don't know the cause and the WV DNR doesn't want to send down a biologist to take look, even though there has been confirmation of EHD/Blue Tongue within my county and within my district.

I would like to here your thoughts on this. I have taken pictures and have written a review.  Although there will be no autopsy to confirm cause of death, is will be in the best judgement of what the members on this forum have seen within their state, while either deer hunting or from know causes that they have seen.

So, if there is any interest/non-interest in this subject please reply either way.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 03:20:43 PM »

Intersesting...It is really wierd that the DNR doesn't care what up. It would seem that they would be all over it. I know you said that it wasn't this, but here in MN, CWD is a huge issue and the DNR wants to have anyone contact them if they suspect a deer has CWD and they will come down and check it out. Good Luck finding whats up.

Dodgegal79
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 10:00:22 PM »

I think you did the right thing. With all the "new" diseases and all the worry about it transferring to people you should be concerned. Any strange death of an animal should be look at seriously. Good Luck
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:12:42 AM »

Not any help from here..............but I've got some pics of deer at a feeder and one of the does looks like bones covered with skin next to the others. :eek: Makes one not to want to hunt any deer anymore. I will post pics ASAP.  I am taking pics to Department of Natural Resources to see what they have to say. 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 04:21:14 AM »

I have also sent pictures off via email to the Parkersburg WV DNR office. I doubt there will be any reply.

So, what do you think, should we continue this discussion, and I will put up my review and pictures or shall we just bury this topic?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 04:47:39 AM »

continue
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 07:35:19 AM »

So, what do you think, should we continue this discussion, and I will put up my review and pictures or shall we just bury this topic?

Very much, continue !
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »

Okay, it seems that we have 2 life long members that want to continue. So bear with me since I will have to resize these photos to fit in the alloted space allowed on this forum. I can't remember the post size including the pictures.

I will post the pictures independent for each as a reply, unless someone here has the ability of a webhost and then I will email the pictures to them and they can post the pictures showing better detail.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:49:08 AM »

I will be back later, time to take care of the birds and run the dogs...

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:33 AM »

« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:49:08 AM »

In the dark ?

:laugh:

edit: opps ! Looks like I have to re-set my time....it's an hour later than it says on my post...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 08:55:40 AM by Reeves » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »

Here is a good comparison picture. Any ideas on what is wrong with the one on the left?   :eek:

(CLICK TO ENLARGE):

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:03:05 PM »

Wow, that looks like CWD.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 01:09:40 PM »

Okay, here we go.

This is my review of the dead deer.

My family and I have been watching this 1.5 year old since last year when he was only a spike. He would come down to the house and we would toss cut up apples to him and the rest of the resident deer that frequent the property. The last day that this deer was seen, was on Friday evening October 12th at 5pm. That is only 3 day’s ago(Oct. 15th).

It doesn’t look like any foul play. I saw no arrow hole, no .22cal hole, nothing. I contacted the local Parkersburg DNR to see if I could get a biologist down here to check the deer for the EHD or Blue Tongue disease. I was told that there has been conformation of EHD in the wood county and Slate District that they would pass on the checking of the deer. I though that EHD or Blue tongue was 5 to 7 day until death.

First off, I found the deer at a dried creek bottom. The tongue looks normal in size for a deer that looks to be dead for no more then 48 hrs.

Although there were some signs of noticeable blood. There were no signs of mucus or dried saliva, around the area.  The eyes and nose were clear as well, except for the trace amount of blood in the nose.

Also noted were the normal signs of body bloating, and the green bile color under the skin in the stomach area. The fur on the hide around the stomach area was starting to fall of as well.

The area surrounding the anus and spinster were highly inflamed and swollen. Also noted were small amounts of blood spotted leaking from that area as well.

I would like you people to look at this deer and tell me what you think.

Pictures in following replies.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 01:11:38 PM »

Photo #1

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 01:18:03 PM »

Photo#2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »