Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Not good at all : Wolves
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not good at all : Wolves  (Read 60612 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 10:41:55 AM »

first question did it walk one straight line or did it curve

I know what
why you ask this. But you have to keep in mind the area(s) it was going through.
Overall, straight. It didn't wander like a dog and the "trail" was too narrow for dog.
The big one had the right distance eating gate known for Wolf.

I know from the pictures it is hard for them to see it is in fact Wolf. But it (they) are. Seen enough to know.

Wilder....you are likely right: she don't get subtle well  :angel:
Tracks were only hours old. I went for a drive to try and get a road ahead of them. Too much talking with other folk and lost day light. Roads are every 2 miles, N-S and E-W. Along each road I drove slow to see where they were crossing. Plan was, if I couldn't see tracks crossing a section of land, to set up for calling. When I ran out of day light, plan was to continue the next day.
Next day it was dumping snow. Last tracks seen were (as the Crow flies) about 10+ miles away.
Noticed they were not traveling through too much bush. They were traveling next to, or just in bush line(s).
Another thing I noticed. Although they were interested in Deer tracks, their main interest was in Coyote tracks. Wolves hate Coyotes.

Last night was the first time I heard Coyotes "sing" since the Wolves came through.

Word is out. If they come through again, I'll be getting a phone call(s).
ode2god
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 11:27:14 AM »

little wolf dog trivia ...malamute huskys ..also sled dogs ...were created by the malamute indians in alaska by tying out sled dog males ,to breed with female wolves, the f] wolves would breed them and turn on them and kill them while knotted up. then the indians trailed them waited for them to den up and stole their pups to domesticate them...ours was a female and when we had her outside as a kid i remember my dad rescueing a few of male dogs that bred her...for that reason... shes also the only dog we had that would wait for the birds to come eat her food then kill them and eat them !
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:20:16 PM »

I'm kinda curious, what kind of dog is this wolf mixed with ? ... j/k

Did you keep the pelt ?

cv
Not the biggest I've seen , by far. But shows their big feet well.

Oddie
I had one as well. It's sire was a lead sled dog in northern B.C.
It was 50/50 and was 185 lbs.
The owner was down in S.E. bc visiting his trapper buddy, whose German Sheppard was in heat.
I ended up with one of the pups. He was 150 lbs at 9 months old.
At the time I was living a small town. When Dakota learned to howl, it was just like a Wolf: no barks with the howl.
Funny though, each evening when all the local dogs were "talking" back and forth, he would let out a long Wolf howl......the town dogs would go silent for the night !
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »

Not mine....stole the picture from an AB hunting forum. There are several picture of this dead "dog" !

If/when I get one it will end up on the wall......
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »

Chev's booked for new moccasins on Tue., heard anything more on the Wolves?
Think I'll throw my 22-250 and 270 wsm in and come up 26th or so, heck fuels cheap and it's only a couple hrs. drive, maybe we can track/call some yodel dogs even.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 10:10:38 AM »

No news at all on the Wolves.
Was out yesterday for a drive look see.....only thing seen was a Coyote running down the road, way down the road.
Thought about trying to see if it would respond to a call......but wasn't in the mood to park and walk and hide etc in -30c weather.

Fuel ain't cheap ! All the inexpensive stuff is given to the States and we keep the expensive stuff for our own use !

How you going to us two at the same time ?  :grin:
Your 22-250 will likely be good enough ?
If you don't want them, I'll give them to the old trapper fella.

Check weather report before ......I don't like sitting in the cold unless it's over a hole in the ice  :grin:
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 10:46:09 AM »

Flying J Truck stop in Sherwood Pk. has fuel for 76.9, that's the cheapest I seen since I bought the Chev., when I fish for ice, I have a shack, heater, underwater camera..... too old to sit on a bucket in the wind now! :grin:

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 11:04:52 AM »

My "shack" is one of those small pop ups. Has a seat when it's stood up. Trouble is, I seem to have gained a few lbs and it is now hard to get in/out of.
Need to pick up one of those ice cube tents...3-4 man ?

Not much going to be moving today....just let the birds out (well, opened the doors...they'll be staying inside)
It's -41c. Good thing it is calm !
Neighbor lady has cancer and had to take some chemo stuff last Thursday. Wife and I have been feeding their Mini horses and dog.
Think I'll leave the diesel and take the old 86 (gas) over this morning.....if it starts. May end up having to walk over  :-o
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »

WALKING   whats that?????? Driving my truck or riding my ATV or riding my mower... s20

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 01:13:55 PM »

I'd figure in that they move 20 to 30 miles a day, They're probably to far down the road  by now unless they have something to feed on or have taken residence near by. Near by could mean 50, 80, miles away or better. You might want to $ave your fuel and time, I'd think If there's enough food, they'll be back when making rounds in search of, at some point.

Is this the first time they've been through ? Can you tell how many passed by ?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »

Is this the first time they've been through ? Can you tell how many passed by ?

First time. 2: adult and sub-adult.

Had two Elk pass through this morning  :grin:
First time for those as well.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »

You must be well stocked on meat..........

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

You must be well stocked on meat..........

Nope.
Haven't shot anything other than Coyotes in 4+ years.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 12:12:32 AM »

OK you don`t eat meat ?????

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 01:33:35 AM »

Had two Elk pass through this morning 
First time for those as well.

No pictures?    s47

OK you don`t eat meat ?

He eats what she tells him he can eat.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »