Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Broken Turkey leg
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broken Turkey leg  (Read 10850 times)
JRHUNTER
« on: December 14, 2004, 09:20:06 PM »

I have a turkey with either a broken leg, or a twisted knee joint. Can either of these be fixed with a cast, splint, or medical bed(Bed that supports hole body, feet slide through bottem, set feet in right postition, leave for few weeks or however long it takes to heal)? How long would it take if it can be healed?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 10:03:34 AM »

I don't have a clue as to what a person would do in your situation, but it sounds as if it could turn out to be a very "tasty" situation indeed.   :)

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
QuailLover22
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 07:58:53 PM »

well, if you're not going to eat it immediately...

I'd say try the old popsickle-stick trick (or use any stick, even cardboard)and splint the leg.

put it in the normal position it would be in as if the bird was standing square on its feet. The bird may be able to lean the leg now, and even if it heals less than perfect the bird can still use the leg for some support.

I'd say maybe put a layer of paper towels, gause, or Vetwrap (stretchy bandage that sticks to itsself...can be found in Horse or even pet section of feed store...I think 3M makes a similar product)

Then firmly tape the leg into position, taking care to focus more on building a "tube" of tape as you wrap up and not taping too tightly. use duct tape or (depending on the size of the bird) scotch tape even braces well!

Unless it comes undone, I'd say replace this whole thing every week or so. Don't make the bird walk on the leg unless he wants to, but it might be nice to let the leg breath for a few minutes before wrapping it back up.

I'd estimate that 3 weeks of this would really help your bird, just make sure he can lay down and get up on his own. If there is absolutley no improvement in 3 weeks, either take the bird to a vet or eat it. Remember, healing takes time, and even a little improvement is good!
chizekfarm
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 10:40:53 PM »

if the leg is broken.  the bird maybe running a temp.   i dont think it would be safe to eat if you already waited a couple of days. if a animal breaks a leg etc. its best to put it down asap.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »