Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Coturnix Quail weak legs.....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix Quail weak legs.....?  (Read 12872 times)
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« on: November 05, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »

Hi,
i have this one coturnix quail that just now has a leg problem he can't seem to walk properly without falling down, i immediately separated him and placed him in another cage with wire mesh on the bottom for support. I just dont know what i should do, i was going to just release him but a few weeks ago i clipped his wings.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:47:46 PM »

BBQ s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

You were going to release him?  Who suggested that, Steve, or Reeves?

It's probably more serious than just his legs.  What is the breast like?  Thin like your hen Pheasant's was?  Wire mesh might actually be a little harder on legs that are already injured, although it's best over all.  Watch closely.  Is it stumbling around, or limping?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 02:16:45 PM »

You were going to release him?  Who suggested that, Steve, or Reeves?

It's probably more serious than just his legs.  What is the breast like?  Thin like your hen Pheasant's was?  Wire mesh might actually be a little harder on legs that are already injured, although it's best over all.  Watch closely.  Is it stumbling around, or limping?

Actually the thought of releasing came from me, i had this other quail that was sick and i just released it around 3 weeks ago, it was probably going to die anyways so at least its free.  No the breast area seems fine isnt thin.  Well yes its stumbling but i see now thats it on the wire mesh hes getting a good grip and doesnt seem to fall, but he seems much weaker in his legs than yesterday.  I'm actually giving him cod-liver oil which has lots of calcium in it, i even tried to dissolve powdered crushed eggshells in some boiling water to extract the vitamin D into the water to give him.  I know theres a product that you give them that you put in their water. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:19:10 PM by birdlover17 » Logged

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »

If it's sick    Don't    let it go.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »

i need you guys opinion on culling.  I personally have never culled a bird before but know how important it is to keep birds healthy without any bad genetic traits etc..

I'm thinking about culling that quail with the leg weak problem, its getting worse today but its not in me to kill a bird, can someone please explain.  Right now the quail is just laying there, i dont know what i should do.  I love my birds i'm not looking to ever kill them. 

Thanks!!

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 07:03:14 PM »

Snap the head off already   
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »

Gently pick the poor bird up in your left hand, place it's head between your fingers, with your right hand grab it's head, and with a twisting/pulling motion remove it's little head. DONE!
Should have done this a few days ago, your love for the bird, has just let it suffer longer.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00:38 AM »

Thanks guys, i'll be sure to do it.  Its just that i havent culled before and i just wanted to make sure i got the procedure right and that it was necessary to cull. I noticed that out of my coturnix male hatch this year i have 4 nice sized birds that are strong, and these 2 others that are too small but fast, should i cull those too.
Thanks again for introducing me to the world of culling  j2.

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 01:17:02 PM »

We can not tell you how and when to cull your birds. There are several ways of doing it you just have to pick one that is best for you. Keep the birds that are with in your breeding program and get rid of the rest. A bird does not have to be sick or cripple in order to cull it. You can also eat or sell culls that are healthy. Your standards should be high in order to have a successful breeding program..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »

We can not tell you how and when to cull your birds. There are several ways of doing it you just have to pick one that is best for you. Keep the birds that are with in your breeding program and get rid of the rest. A bird does not have to be sick or cripple in order to cull it. You can also eat or sell culls that are healthy. Your standards should be high in order to have a successful breeding program..

Thanks Slider!!!

Thats it ...i culled him.  The method i used i just dont ever want to do again.  I decided to just get a string and tie one end around the bird's neck and another to a fence, i thought one quick throw would be a quick safe death, i was wrong i must of repeated the process for up to 5 minutes where he was still alive, i just didnt know what i was doing this is my first time and hopefully it'll be the last.  I also used the method where you just snap the neck, did that but it was still alive i probably didnt do it hard enough.  Then finally i just threw a brick over it and finally it was in peace   i3 , i should of chose this method in the beginning.  Just the thought that he suffered more with me trying to shut him down then before kills me, i'm just feeling very upset about that, i regret how i culled him  s176 s53 s53.       
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 01:59:07 PM by birdlover17 » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 05:44:34 PM »

I am sincerely sorry to hear you had such a difficult time carrying out what obviously was hard for you to do.  Live and learn, next time you'll have a better sense of what you should do...the first time.  As long as you have birds.......it will need to be done again, sooner or later. 
The method i used i just dont ever want to do again.
  I'd reckon not!   My Gosh!  :-o  Although I must say that your first method was quite humorous on this end............I never heard tell of such a thing.  Where in the world did you come up with that idea?   :-|  Maybe should have used a ball bat to hit it with when it bounced back?  You tear me up birdlover18 1/2! 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:47:11 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:41:51 PM »

I am sincerely sorry to hear you had such a difficult time carrying out what obviously was hard for you to do.  Live and learn, next time you'll have a better sense of what you should do...the first time.  As long as you have birds.......it will need to be done again, sooner or later. 
The method i used i just dont ever want to do again.
  I'd reckon not!   My Gosh!  :-o  Although I must say that your first method was quite humorous on this end............I never heard tell of such a thing.  Where in the world did you come up with that idea?   :-|  Maybe should have used a ball bat to hit it with when it bounced back?  You tear me up birdlover18 1/2! 
I appreciate the sympathy. Yeah hopefully next time the method will turn out better, I'm just glad the quail is in peace now , poor thing  :angel:  i3    Well i got that idea on the string from the old days where they used to hang people when they did something wrong or bad, they were dead in seconds just wished it would of been the same for the quail.  And i didn't have the guts to cut the head off I'm not good with blood makes me feel uncomfortable.
Thanks Charlie .............................................. :wink:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 06:55:23 PM by birdlover17 » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »

You're Welcome.

They used a noose (slip knot), so it would tighten.  :-o  Also, there is a weight issue that needs to be taken into account when using a noose.  :-o  I doubt your bird weighed but just a few ounces, if it weighed 5 pounds, it may have worked.   :-o  That being said, it still wouldn't have been a very pleasant experience for you, there are much better ways. I'd have let it freeze to death before trying to hang/strangle it, or use it for a tether ball.  :-o Then the brick is another story.......... :-o  I've got a visual on this taking place... ^-^

^-^

I hope you know that you probably set yourself up on here to get beat up, don't you?   :wink:

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:28:51 PM »

yeah i just thought about the weight issue with the noose, quails dont have enough weight for the noose to tighten.  I'm just looking for the quickest most humane method and boy was i wrong on this one. 

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »