Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Avian Flu
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Avian Flu  (Read 5582 times)
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« on: January 17, 2008, 02:14:32 PM »

Bird flu may be spread indirectly, WHO says By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
Thu Jan 17, 8:22 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The H5N1 bird flu virus may sometimes stick to surfaces or get kicked up in fertilizer dust to infect people, according to a World Health Organization report published on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The WHO team reviewed all known human cases of avian influenza, which has infected 350 people in 14 countries and killed 217 of them since 2003, and found that 25 percent of cases have no explanation.

Most are passed directly from bird to people, they noted in their report, published in the New England Journal of Medicine. And very rarely one person can infect another -- always close relatives via intimate physical contact.

"In one quarter or more of patients with influenza A (H5N1) virus infection, the source of exposure is unclear, and environment-to-human transmission remains possible," the researchers, led by WHO's Dr. Frederick Hayden, wrote.

"For some patients, the only identified risk factor was visiting a live-poultry market."

It could be that small particles of virus-contaminated fluid stuck to surfaces, they said. Or perhaps fertilizer made from infected bird feces somehow carried the virus into people's noses or mouths.

"It is unknown whether influenza A (H5N1) virus infection can begin in the human gastrointestinal tract," they wrote.

"In several patients, diarrheal disease preceded respiratory symptoms, and virus has been detected in feces."

Government and health officials have stressed that well-cooked chicken cannot infect people. "Drinking potable water and eating properly cooked foods are not considered to be risk factors, but ingestion of virus-contaminated products or swimming or bathing in virus-contaminated water might pose a risk," the WHO team of bird flu experts noted.

ENDEMIC IN BIRDS

H5N1 is considered entrenched in parts of Asia, including Indonesia, Africa and the Middle East. It pops up frequently in Europe and has prompted the slaughter of hundreds of millions of chickens.

The researchers noted that people only rarely become infected. The fear is that the virus will mutate into a strain that passes easily from one person to another, setting off a pandemic that could kill millions of people in the space of a few months.

"After exposure to infected poultry, the incubation period generally appears to be 7 days or less, and in many cases this period is 2 to 5 days," the WHO team wrote.

"In clusters in which limited, human-to-human transmission has probably occurred, the incubation period appears to be approximately 3 to 5 days, although in one cluster it was estimated to be 8 to 9 days."

It usually causes severe pneumonia and tests suggest that it rarely or never infects people without causing symptoms.

Avian flu kills on average within nine to 10 days and has killed 61 percent of victims.

Quick use of antiviral drugs can save lives, they noted, although some strains of the virus are more treatable than others with Tamiflu, the drug of choice to treat influenza. It is made by Roche Holdings AG and Gilead Sciences under the generic name oseltamivir.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 03:26:38 PM »

Bird flu may be spread indirectly, WHO says By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
Thu Jan 17, 8:22 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The H5N1 bird flu virus may sometimes stick to surfaces or get kicked up in fertilizer dust to infect people, according to a World Health Organization report published on Wednesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The WHO team reviewed all known human cases of avian influenza, which has infected 350 people in 14 countries and killed 217 of them since 2003, and found that 25 percent of cases have no explanation.

Most are passed directly from bird to people, they noted in their report, published in the New England Journal of Medicine. And very rarely one person can infect another -- always close relatives via intimate physical contact.

"In one quarter or more of patients with influenza A (H5N1) virus infection, the source of exposure is unclear, and environment-to-human transmission remains possible," the researchers, led by WHO's Dr. Frederick Hayden, wrote.

"For some patients, the only identified risk factor was visiting a live-poultry market."

It could be that small particles of virus-contaminated fluid stuck to surfaces, they said. Or perhaps fertilizer made from infected bird feces somehow carried the virus into people's noses or mouths.

"It is unknown whether influenza A (H5N1) virus infection can begin in the human gastrointestinal tract," they wrote.

"In several patients, diarrheal disease preceded respiratory symptoms, and virus has been detected in feces."

Government and health officials have stressed that well-cooked chicken cannot infect people. "Drinking potable water and eating properly cooked foods are not considered to be risk factors, but ingestion of virus-contaminated products or swimming or bathing in virus-contaminated water might pose a risk," the WHO team of bird flu experts noted.

ENDEMIC IN BIRDS

H5N1 is considered entrenched in parts of Asia, including Indonesia, Africa and the Middle East. It pops up frequently in Europe and has prompted the slaughter of hundreds of millions of chickens.

The researchers noted that people only rarely become infected. The fear is that the virus will mutate into a strain that passes easily from one person to another, setting off a pandemic that could kill millions of people in the space of a few months.

"After exposure to infected poultry, the incubation period generally appears to be 7 days or less, and in many cases this period is 2 to 5 days," the WHO team wrote.

"In clusters in which limited, human-to-human transmission has probably occurred, the incubation period appears to be approximately 3 to 5 days, although in one cluster it was estimated to be 8 to 9 days."

It usually causes severe pneumonia and tests suggest that it rarely or never infects people without causing symptoms.

Avian flu kills on average within nine to 10 days and has killed 61 percent of victims.

Quick use of antiviral drugs can save lives, they noted, although some strains of the virus are more treatable than others with Tamiflu, the drug of choice to treat influenza. It is made by Roche Holdings AG and Gilead Sciences under the generic name oseltamivir.

Jake,

Really, you are what 67yo, and I am going on 58yo. You know propaganda when you see it, right? I mean come on, really......., My concerns are locally. Gape worm, Capillaria worms and any other strongyles. The chances of any game bird carrying the H5N1 or that being usurped from the ground is totally ridicules and Bull$hitt.

It you go by what the WHO has to say, you might as well slaughter your birds now, put them in the freezer, and make sure you have yourself one fine bunker.

This is another one of those scare tactics that has been going around for the last two years.

They have been (US/CA) studies on the H5N1 virus for the last two years, none of the birds have been confirmed to carry the H5N1 virus. The bird flu yes, as far as transmitable to humans, non so far in North America as far as I know.

Scare tactic by the WHO is only that, Bull $hit for the most part.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »

Scare tactic by the WHO is only that, Bull $hit for the most part.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

My thoughts exactly.....

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
finnegan

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 12:01:54 AM »

Bird flu has killed 217 since 2003 there is double that murdered in Detroit (i live 30 mins away) every year  let me keep my birds i will take my chance with them jim
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 09:26:58 AM »

That came in my email and I posted it for general interest, I thought more would have concentrated on the actual number of world fatalities then any prop value.  FWIW the mortalities based on the world population is negligible, despite the scare value that has been used. 

To me its a moot point, something for academia, not real life.

As you said Jim, more get shot in Detroit each year. Maybe WHO should investigate that.

Nuff, i'm outa here. The next one I'll just read and delete.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:18 AM »

Afganastan s53 has KILLED more Canadians then any Avian Flu ever will!

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »

The next one I'll just read and delete.

:-|

Then we wouldn't have anything to cuss and discuss?   s47

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:27:14 PM »

Nuff, i'm outa here. The next one I'll just read and delete.

Ah, don't take it personal. At least I don't think it was meant to be. You're intelligent enough to figure out the realities of the bird flu, whereas there are plenty of others who read and partake in these forums that take everything written as gospel. Most of us realists know that the bird flu  has been blown WAY out of proportion.... just like SARS, Ebloa, West Nile, the list goes on. I just like to call bull-kaka everytime it's brought up....  s020

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 09:31:07 AM »

I read it, and put it right with the ebola and west nile crap, figured others would too. I was wrong.

300 million in this country, more people get killed by their household appliances.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »