Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:39:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  McMurray Hatchery
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: McMurray Hatchery  (Read 6460 times)
Pheasantman
« on: June 25, 2004, 12:05:12 AM »

I ordered some chicks from McMurray and they came in pretty good shape.  They were very courteous over the phone and you can call and ask them any kind of question about poultry and they will try their hardest to answer it.  I can't say much about their gamebirds because I haven't ordered any.
aay2k4
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 05:01:50 PM »

McMurray is renowned for their utterly courteous phone staff.  They can and are happy to answer just about any question you have.  What I can't stand about them is that they're "the world's largest rare breed hatchery" yet they carry just a FEW rare breeds, are always sold out, and some of their minimum orders are ridiculous.  Basically the most reputable large breeders or hatcheries are -
Chickens/bantams - Ideal
Turkeys - Privett
Ducks/Geese - Holderead's or Metzer Farms
Guineas - Winter's Guinea Farm
Gamebirds - MacFarlane, B&D Farm, or Prickeree Pines
EdenFarm
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 08:33:40 AM »

I have been pleased with McMurray hatchery. I get 30 or so laying hens from them every couple of years. I like a colorful assortment and they sex very well. For gamebirds finding closer suppliers seems to work best for me. Here in Ohio I use Elkhorn and Windy Ridge Hatchery's. Next door in Pa. I use Chukar Creek and Wolfes. Not to forget Derk1 as well. I prefer to pick up my chicks since the Post Office seems to not be working well. One extra day in the boxes really stresses the chicks out and even if they are all live when you pick them up the mortality in the brooders go's up for the first couple of days.I am having problems right now with some Chukars that were shipped on Wed. and didn't get here till Friday. I couldn't file a claim because there were only 10 dead in the boxes but they have been dropping like flys ever since. When you lose 70 out of 500 thats not acceptable. I will be picking up all my chicks from now on. Just my opinion, Jack
CHARLIE

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »

McMurray hatchery HAS GREAT PEOPLE ALWAYS GLAD TO HELP, IM WELL SATISFIDE WITH THEIR PRODUCTS AND SERVICE.
           CHARLIE
           BACKYARD GAMEBIRD FARM
            DELAWARE

WAS A ADVANCED MEMBER IN THE OLD FORUM
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 09:59:43 PM »

Their 'sales' are laughable.  I like getting their email ads just so I can see how high they sell merchandise on 'sale'.  The only time their corteous staff won't respond is when you email them asking why their selling somthing so high and give them two other sources that have them severely beat.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2004, 09:40:08 AM »

.....they are playing the game "by the book". If a business does what is required of them by the government, than...yes, their prices will be high. Too much government intervention!!! The next thing you know is that you'll have to order eggs and supplies from Guatemala!  I couldn't swear as to why their prices are so high, but you can bet that when a person tries to do things "right" that insurance companies, lawyers, courts, government imposed rules and regulations play a big part in it, enough to put most people under. It cost ya $200 to sell a .10 cent cupcake in this country, no wonder everything is made in China!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
squirrelhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 05:36:31 PM »

Very reliable hatchery but definitely too expensive gamebirds.
animal_lover1920
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 09:09:05 PM »

I get their magazine once in a while, and latly I've been checking out their websites. But the minimums... jeeze! I dont want so many, I only want them as pets. I was wondering if I could call and maybe they'de ship just a couple?? I want some chickens from them.
squirrelhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 06:33:44 PM »

Mcmurray is too big to deal personaly with people, better finding the specific breeds you want in smaller numbers elewhere. Mcmurray does have ridiculous minimums and prices!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »