Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:12:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  pecking
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: pecking  (Read 4226 times)
gone2hale

« on: March 19, 2008, 03:29:58 PM »

My husband and I just started raising quail, so I may have many, many questions. But the one at the top of my list right now is pecking.
We have 5 quail 5 weeks old (2 male, 2 female and 1 we aren't sure about lol) When I went out today to check on them 1 male had his head pecked. I took him out and put him in the brooder pen (meds pending), but the other male was still attacking the other 3. I put him in a pen all by himself, BUT....we have about 60 2 week old chicks, so, I'm guessing, as they get older we will have the same problem.
What is the best "cure" for pecking? I've seen the rings in mags, but don't know how they attach or work, and I've seen the hot pick spray. I've also found clippers for their beaks. Does that work? and do you just nip off the tip?  If that is a good remedy, we will have a small chore to do this weekend..
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

What kind of quail?

Regardless of the species, you shouldn't be having any pecking problems with just 5 of anything.

Pecking comes from insufficient feeding (not enough protein, etc.), too much light (use red/blue bulbs and/or dimmer), no hiding places, too small of an area, etc.

If I had to clip beaks, blinders, etc, etc, etc..........I'd give it up.  I've never had to do any such thing to any Bobwhite.  There is something wrong with your setup or feed.

There are many threads on this forum about pecking/cannibalism and different solutions for every cause.

s016................and Good Luck!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gone2hale

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:32:05 PM »

They are the jumbo cortunix. Pens are about 30"x25"x15". Never thought about hiding places....there are none.
Feed is just chicken feed.....we don't have a good feed store here  s80
Thanx for the imput. Will check out the rest of the forum and see what I can find out.
gone2hale

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »

P.S.....we have a 75 watt bulb that we use during the day, but other then that it's a red bulb in the brooder pen.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:49:58 AM »

Problem is most likely the feed not enough protein add some soybean meal to the chick starter  quail need 28% protein chick feed has maybe 16-18%
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:03:46 AM »

Hello there, Jchiar is correct they gotta have 28% protein up to 6 weeks and with the coturnix they need high protein FOREVER. It is a big pain to find the right feed in small area's. People get confused about feed A LOT. You have to get a "gamebird" feed for quail and such and turkey is a good feed also.  You can't compare poultry feed to gamebird as there is a big differance in the two breeds. The things they have in common are they eat, eat, eat, and die. you can't compare them in any way with your feed especially the coturnix. I've never had a pecking problem with them I even have 24 breeders in a 24"x30"x8" battery  breeder cages and I never have any problems with them at all. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:21:33 AM »

Hello there, Jchiar is correct they gotta have 28% protein up to 6 weeks and with the coturnix they need high protein FOREVER. It is a big pain to find the right feed in small area's. People get confused about feed A LOT. You have to get a "gamebird" feed for quail and such and turkey is a good feed also.  You can't compare poultry feed to gamebird as there is a big differance in the two breeds. The things they have in common are they eat, eat, eat, and die. you can't compare them in any way with your feed especially the coturnix. I've never had a pecking problem with them I even have 24 breeders in a 24"x30"x8" battery  breeder cages and I never have any problems with them at all. Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy

gone2hale,

Jchiar and Tommy are correct. The higher the metabolism rate the higher the protein and fat content in the food is required.

Chickens can be feed basically anything.

Quail require higher in protein then pheasants. I do believe that the Turkey protein reccomended requirement is just under the Bobwhite recommended, but...hey what is 2%???

You will never notice the difference in development in the chicks and neither will they, but you will see it in the 14-18% chicken chick starter. If that is all you can get, do like Jchair recommended:
add some soybean meal
This will bring up the protein %.

If you have problems with the birds just eating the other ingredence, add mollasses in the mix to keep it held together and make sure there is ample fresh water.

Mollasses by the way contains:
1g of protein
5mg soduim
6g Total Carbohydrate
15g Sugar
0 fat
60 calories per 1Tbsp(15ml)

Just make sure when and if you use Medicated Turkey Starter (Purina) I think the lable states 24%. The lable will state that it is not recommended for other game birds. This is a liability issue protecting their assest. I have used it for years for my pheasant chicks. Just grind it up in a blender.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »